Sunday, April 26, 2009

Macaroons


YUMMY! I love macaroons, and when I found this recipe it reminded me of the ones my babysitter use to make for us when I was a kid. They were so good! So, when I found the recipe I was surprised at how simple and straightforward it was. They only took about 20-25 minutes to make.
These are the ingredients that you need. It's not a lot compared to other chocolate recipes I've tried, but like I said, it's really straightforward. For this recipe you need:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 6 tbsp. cocoa
  • 1/2 cup butter (I used margarine)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 3 cups instant rolled outs
Yields: approx. 3 dozen, depending on the size of the macaroons

I know, the images aren't the best (mainly because they're smaller and a bit more distorted than they were in photoshop), but it's ok : )

First, you want to combine the sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. This took only a minute or two for me and I found that once it started bubbling it brought a lot of the stuff that I hadn't stirred in to the top (which let me mix it in more thoroughly).

Once it comes to a boil you want to add the coconut and oats. My mixture wasn't completely smooth, but it had a good enough consistency. Plus, they're macaroons; like anyone would notice a few lumps!

Stir in the oats and coconut and then drop them by teaspoon size onto wax paper (I used parchment paper, which seemed to work fine too) and let them cool. It's important to get all the mixture on the wax paper before it cools, because once that happens the mixture will get too crumbly and won't stick together. Actually, this happened to me, so I added approx. another 1/4 cup of margarine to the mixture.

One of the great things was that even though I may have added a little bit more margarine than needed the second time around, it didn't absorb it. Once I placed them on the parchment paper, the extra "oils" or "waters" from the margarine came out.

I love this recipe because, like I said, it reminded me a lot of my childhood. I find that one of the greatest things about baking is finding a recipe that you once loved but haven't tasted in years, and then tasting it again. It was like a time machine. OK, now I feel like some cheesy talk show host reminiscing about my youth, and I'm not even old.

For now, I shall leave you to enjoy this recipe for yourselves. I'll have an update quite soon, hopefully with another recipe attempt to go along with it!

TTYL
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. mmmm looks goodddd *drools* but this is an interesting recipe...I may have to try, because classically macaroons are basically eggwhites and coconut (with sugar,or vanilla or nuts added etc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was always told they were macaroons (by the babysitter and my mom). i googled it, and kraft seems to have similar looking ones to mine. maybe those are the non-chocolate ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me jump in and say "they were yummmmmmmy".

    Zahra is right about the classic macaroons - egg whites, coconut, and lots of sweet stuff (sometimes Eagle Brand condensed milk). These type of macaroons are white, and WAY more chewier. You would use a shredded coconut too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up calling these no bake cookies. Add some peanut butter and they will send you to heaven.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...