Sunday, January 17, 2010

Brown-sugar Oatmeal Muffins



Alright, I admit it. Everything I said in my last post was a lie. Well, not everything, but at the very least the part about not getting around to baking anymore this weekend. I had every intention of not doing it, but when I woke up this morning, I really wanted muffins.

I scanned several cookbooks and finally settled on The Harrowsmith Country Life Baking Book that my mom has had for quite some time. I found a simple, straightforward recipe, as most of mine are, and went to work. Though, that was easier said that done.

Yesterday my eldest sister dropped her three kids off and my parents and I watched them overnight. Needless to say that my time spent baking this morning wasn't as relaxing and eventful as I had hoped. My oldest nephew was busy playing kick the ball around the kitchen, while the baby twins were busy eating and sleeping (ok, so that wasn't a huge distraction). But I'm use to the calm, still feeling of the kitchen. I guess I should get use to the background mayhem eventually, right?



All that aside, onwards to the muffins! I generally only make muffins in the morning, because that's usually when I crave them the most. If it's any other time, they just don't seem appealing.



Brown-sugar Oatmeal Muffin Recipe:
Ingredients needed -

1 cup of rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
(instead of using two different kinds of flour, I just used 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. allspice (or 1 tsp. cinnamon, or 1/4 tsp. nutmeg or cloves)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (or oil)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup raisins (or chopped walnuts, currants etc.)


You can see where the overused cooking spray was starting to burn...

Directions -
1) Preaheat oven to 400'F
2) In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the oats, flour(s), baking powder, salt, and your spice of choice.
3) In another bowl, whisk eggs and brown sugar, blending until smooth.
4) Add milk, cooled melted butter, vanilla, and raisins to the egg mixture, and blend well.
5) Pour over the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and quickly fold in with a rubber spatula just until dry ingredients are moistened.
6) Use a 1/4 cup measure to spoon batter into greased or paper lined muffin cups.
7) Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
8) Eat one before it's cooled and tell everyone about how to burned your tongue, but it was so worth it!

Pretty simple!


My mom thinks I use too much stuff when I bake. I seldom agree...

I've decided that I won't be baking or anything this week. I need to get caught up on some readings and other school work, so I'm going to take this week to get all caught up so that, come Friday, I'll be able to let loose and make whatever I want!

For now, I hope you have an excellent week!

Happy Cooking!

-Jordan


Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. You have a great site! Welcome to the Foodie BlogRoll!
    Andrea from www.rockthatplate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you made something without chocolate in it! Even so, they were delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound and look so good. Can't wait to try them out once my oven gets going again. Great site!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...