Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf


I've only had this recipe once, at my cousin's wedding. My mom made it. I was a little apprehensive about eating a baked good with the word zucchini in it. First off, I'm not that crazy about zucchini to begin with, but to mix it with the hallowed goodness that is chocolate was beyond my understanding.

Reluctantly however, I was convinced to try a piece. From that moment, my entire belief system was shattered. I couldn't fathom how something with a vegetable in it's name could not taste like a vegetable at all. Looking back, I was rather naive to think that someone would be crazy enough to actually mix in zucchini if it would actually taste like it.

This was also my first time making the recipe. It was a simple process as most of the recipes I make are. I'm still learning, so don't expect to see creme brulee on her anytime soon.



It was a very simple, straigh-forward recipe. Perfect for an amateur baker like myself.

I found this recipe off of one of my favourite food sites, www.joyofbaking.com .

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf Recipe:
Ingredients needed -

1/2 cups shredded, raw zucchini
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 teapsoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup canola or safflower oil
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips


Directions -

1) Preheat the oven to 350' F and place the rack in the center of the oven.
2) Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
3) Grate the zucchini, using a medium grater. Set aside.
4) In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground allspice. Set aside.
5) With an electric mixer, beat the oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended -- about two minutes.
6) Fold in the grated zucchini.
7) Add the flour mixture, being until just combined.
8) Fold in the chocolate chips.
9) Pour the batter in the pan.
10) Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
11) Place on a wire rack to cool for approx. 10 minutes.
12) Remove the bread from the pan and cool completely.
13) Eat all of it in one sitting and don't feel guilty!


Super simple. Amazingly tasty. And, it has chocolate. If you ask me, that's the scientific formula for any good recipe.

I've decided that I'm going to be posting something at least once per week. I like trying new things, so I'll be cooking as well as baking. I try not to limit myself, because I'm still learning.

Make sure to check back soon!

Happy Cooking!

Jordan



Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I'm still not sure I would try it...lol I've heard of a lot of people saying its AMAZING, and Im sure it is...but...I just cant help it...i hear zucchini and I go running in the other direction! lol :P

    maybe ONE DAY I will try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jordan,
    This loaf looks really nice. I've been meaning to make a chocolate and zucchini loaf, so maybe I will try to modify your recipe to vegan if that is okay with you!? Oh, and you are so lucky to be going to school in Canada. I wish I could live there-I would give up the Florida sun and everything for it...
    Stella

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...