Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes with Rainbow Frosting



Anytime before I cook or bake or do anything in the kitchen that involves food, I have to make sure the counter is bare (except for the fruit and coffeemaker of course) and wiped down completely. I have to feel like there is space for me to work without having to divert my attention from something I enjoy, just to clean something completely unrelated.

So today was no different, and as I sit here wearing a Carleton University t-shirt covered in cupcake batter and vanilla icing, I can't help but feel like I've made the most of my day. Weekends are a precious gift from school work, and so I always feel like I have to make the most of it; which means doing stuff all day and never sleeping in past 9:30 or 10.


Today, I made Cookies and Cream Cupcakes with an Oreo base and homemade vanilla frosting. They are heavenly, but after about 4.5 hours in total, from preparation to picture taking, I could barely muster myself up to eating one. I forced myself to try one, knowing very well that if I didn't, they might soon be gone.


I spend the past two days trying to find a recipe that didn't say to just use cake mix. It wasn't hard to find, but in those two days I had to find the will to make them. After a hectic day yesterday, my plans for baking after the gym were squashed.

The recipe was really simple. I found it off the TLC website. The recipe yields 24 cupcakes, but didn't include a recipe for icing. So I found a separate recipe and doubled it, as it only was enough for 12 cupcakes; at least that's what the recipe said. 24 cupcakes down, and enough icing to cover at least 10 more.


Cupcake Recipe:
Ingredients needed -
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 2/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 egg whites
1 cup crushed Oreo cookies, plus extra for garnish
1 container of vanilla frosting (though I made my own)

The strange thing about this recipe is that it was probably the first recipe I ever came across let alone made, that didn't have me separate the wet and dry ingredients first. It said to mix everything together. I was skeptical at first, as was my Mom, but it turned out just fine.

Directions -
1. Preheat the oven to 350'F. Lightly grease 24 (2 1/2 inch) muffin cups, or line with paper baking cups.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
3. Stir in sugar.
4. Add milk, butter, and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer at low speed for about 30 seconds. Then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
5. Add egg whites and beat for 2 minutes.
6. Stir in 1 cup of crushed cookies.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


The original recipe did not call for Oreos at the bottom of each cupcake, but should you choose to do it, and I HIGHLY recommend you do, just place a single Oreo in each paper baking cup and spoon the batter over it.

As for the frosting, I'll just link you to the recipe I used, as I'm sure many of you either have recipes or know how to make a simple frosting. Click here for the recipe.


Once I made the icing I crushed up a few more Oreos into the icing and seperated the icing into four bowls, where I added different colours of food colouring.


HAPPY BAKING!

-Jordan
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. mmmm looks good :)

    and PUH-LEASSEEE

    no energy to eat cupcakes? there is NO SUCH THING!!!:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I do not have an oven, Can I make the recipe in another way?I think that the cupcakes are really delicious because are little with a big flavor!!22dd
    I will try to get the ingredients and the other week I will cook it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I made a variation of these via "The Cake Mix Doctor's" Cupcake recipe book. A friend said they were the best cupcake he's ever had! I'll have to try the cake mix recipe from scratch though. Like minds!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...