Saturday, January 16, 2010

Mini Apple Turnover Cakes


This is just going to be a quick post. Not much to report on. It's the weekend... finally, which means I'm racked with time to bake and cook and explore my creative side while feeling overly guilty about not putting as much effort into studying as I did making turnover cakes.

Mega guilt aside, I've become one of those people who treats every weekend like a pot of gold. It's so precious to me that by the time I get it, I have no idea what I want to do with it or how I want to spend it. So, I make a mental list of what I would like to accomplish or do over the course of the two days. It usually includes some general out time, blogging, spending some time in the kitchen, maybe see a movie, and trying my best to accomplish some semblance of school work.



Today, I really wanted to make ladyfingers. I've never made them before and I was really eager to try the Julia Child's recipe out of The Joy of French Cooking, which finally arrived a few days ago. Alas, I realized that I didn't really have the patience today to make them, so I found a simple recipe out of the local paper and went to work.


Mini Apple Turnover Cakes Recipe:
Ingredients needed -

2 tbsp. melted butter
2 cups sliced, peeled apples (about three small)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg or cinnamon

Batter:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp. grated lemon rind
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
pinch of salt


Directions -

1) Preheat over to 350'F
2) Brush the bottoms and the sides of the 12-cup muffin pan with butter
3) Divide apples among the cups, cutting them appropriately to fit
4) Combine brown sugar and nutmeg
5) Sprinkle 1 tbsp. over the apples in each cup (Note: I followed the measurements accordingly and ran out just short of the last four cups. Try and make a bit extra)

Batter Directions -

1) In a small bowl, stir together sugar, oil, egg, applesauce, lemon rind, and vanilla until blended.
2) In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
3) Stir in liquid mixture until combined.
4) Spoon batter evenly over apples in each cup.
5) Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6) Let cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
7) Run a thin metal spatula or knife around the edge of the cups and turn them out.
8) Eat 5 in one sitting and don't tell anyone!



So, that's the recipe. It's fairly straightforward. If you're like me and you realize you don't have any applesauce and are just too lazy to go to the store, just cut approx. 2 peeled, coreless apples into pieces and cook in boiling water until they are soft enough to mash. This should give you about 1/2 cup of applesauce depending on the size of your apples.

I doubt I'm going to get to any kitchen stuff tomorrow. I have a feeling the Guilt God will be on my ass to do something school related. At any rate, I'm going to go eat a turnover. My stomachs grumbling and dinner isn't for a while.

Happy Cooking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...