Sunday, February 7, 2010

Banana Nut Cookies



I had to bake this weekend. There was no real other option.

Saturday morning my sister brought her three kids over for a sleepover with my parents and I. I desperately wanted to bake, but with three kids under the age of four there was no way. I'm sure many people are able to, but I just haven't mastered that art yet. So, after a burrito dinner and when the kids were asleep, I went to work.

I knew I wanted to make cookies, but I wasn't interested in just making the plain ol' chocolate chip cookies. I wanted something different! Thankfully, Mrs. Fields wasn't far away. I found this really simple and delicious recipe for Banana Nut Cookies. The recipe called for walnuts, but I didn't have any. So, I used shaved almonds. The recipe also called for a banana liqueur, which I didn't have. Vanilla extract subbed in.



This recipe was very simple, but very delicious! I love Mrs. Fields for the simplicity of her recipes but the irresistible taste and unmistakable quality of them. Cheers, Mrs. Fields!

Banana Nut Cookies

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon creme de bananes liqueur or banana extract (I used vanilla extract and it still tasted like banana. I also got the suggestion to use almond extract with the almonds instead of walnuts)
3/4 cup mashed banana (about 1 1/2 medium bananas)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used shaved almonds that I slightly pulverized)

1. Preheat the oven to 300'F.

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt. Mix well with a wire whisk and set aside.

3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugars at a medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy past, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add egg, liqueur (or extract), and banana, and beat at medium speed until smooth.


4. Add the flour mixture, 1 cup of the chocolate chips ( I added all of them), and the nuts, and blend at low speed until just combined. Make sure not to overmix!

5. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the cookies with the rest of the chocolate chips. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until cookie edges begin to brown. Transfer to a cool surface immediately with a spatula.

6. Note: This probably isn't the best philosophy to live by, but if no one sees you eat them, then calories etc. don't count. Right?

Yield: About 4 dozen


That's all for now. I give this recipe an A for easy and an A+ for deliciousness. I'd have to rank it at a yellow belt, once again. It's not for a person completely new to the kitchen, but with the right stamina, anyone could do it!

Happy baking!

-Jordan





Share/Bookmark

13 comments:

  1. They were so friggen good! How come I didn't' take any home?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm looks GOOD :D I will definitely be bookmarking this one ;)

    and congrats! your pictures are getting prettier and prettier! :G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy looking cookies. It's never easy baking with kids, fun but not easy.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I love banana bread so these cookies win me over!! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Fields is officially a genius! These cookies look to DIE for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey wrong gmail account! This is the real Joanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never added banana into a cookie before. These look so nice and chunky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look divine!! And yes...if no one sees them being consumed the calories are void. This also applies if you eat them with a diet coke. The diet coke cancels calories too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, gorgeous blog Jordan! I'll be following from now on;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey thanks for commenting on my blog, I really appreciate it. Your blog is pretty rad too. Those cookies look great. Cheers!

    John
    Rouxde Cooking School
    www.rouxde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking cookies! I really like the sound of using banana in cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great, Jordan. I am about to post a banana, oatmeal, and dark chocolate cookie, so hopefully the will looks as delicious as yours...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cookies and this is the first time I heard about this recipe for cookies. I will have to taste it in a short period, because I'm so intrigued with its flavor.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...