Monday, February 1, 2010

Carrot and Orange Soup



Well folks, we have www.RecipeGirl.com to thank for this one.

I'd been wanting to make this recipe for a while but for whatever reason, I'd never gotten around to it. Well I didn't go to my class this morning, so after I'd finished my work for the day I had a real itch to cook something. I've been drained of my baking juices (which will probably kick back in tomorrow), but today I wanted to make something warm and hearty. Soup seemed like the perfect solution, and the Carrot and Orange soup seemed like the perfect recipe.

It wasn't hard to make, but the entire time I was second guessing myself. I'd never made soup before. Was I going to overcook the onions? What if the diced carrots were too big? All these things were running through my head. But, I told myself that in the end I was just going to be pureeing the stuff, so I could at least find some solace in that.

Now, I've never been a big fan of store-bought soups, if only for the reason that they're mostly just heated up water with some flavour. But, there's something about homemade soup that's really satisfying. This recipe is perfect for a cold day. It really warms your insides. Not to mention that the colour is warm itself.



And, as per usual, once I was done I had to take more photos than was necessary. With a sprinkle of cinnamon and a celery leaf, it was complete and boy was it worth the wait. It's a very filling soup and naturally my eyes were bigger than my stomach, but I ate it and I enjoyed it.

You can follow the link at the top for the recipe, but for those who'd like to stay, I'll post it here. Plus, you can get a real neophyte soup makers perspective...
Carrot and Orange Soup

1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
12 large carrots, peeled and chopped
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup fresh orange juice (with pulp)
salt and pepper to taste
grated zest of 1 orange
1/8 tsp cinnamon (optional)I'm planning on introducing a list of recipes I plan on trying in the near future. In addition, if you guys have anything you want to see made, or anything that you think I might like to try, just leave me a comment. I'm fairly new at this, so I'm willing to try anything. Don't hold back!

Happy cooking!

-Jordan
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. Your soup sound delicious. We have soup almost every Sunday during the winter along with homemade bread(I noticed your bread post). It's nice to get some new recipes.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great soup, I love the color. Tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog...and this soup looks delicious...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment over at Top Notch Eats....this soup looks amazing....so colorful....why dont you come on back over to Top Notch Eats and click that little ole' follow button and we can stay connected....im totally putting this soup on next weeks menu...

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...