Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Volcano Style Orange Icing


This was probably one of the most exciting things I've ever baked. Besides the obvious fun of knowing that once you finished you'd have cupcakes to eat, it was the first time I used my new piping tools. I realized that the set I bought at Michael's is intended for a class that they offer in the store. Oh well... I'm going to make the most of it. YouTube and Google are my friends in times like these.

I got really carried away, making wavy towers of the creamy, orange flavoured icing. As my mom watched me I was hit with an idea. I stuck the tip into the top of the cupcake and squeezed the bag, filling the insides with icing. The top of the cupcake cracked and the icing rose out out of the center. It looked like like the effects on a concrete after a huge earthquake.


Now, the cupcakes were made from a standard chocolate cake mix. I hated myself too for succumbing to laziness. But I was really only interested in playing with my new tools.

The icing was to die for. My mom actually found me the recipe in an old cookbook that belonged to my Grandmother, titled The American Woman's Cook Book. It was published in 1947.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons water or milk (though you can use any fruit juice or flavoured liquid as a substitute, i.e. strong coffee or maple syrup. I used orange juice.)
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Optional: I added some orange zest to give it an extra kick

Directions:
1. Stir the sugar gradually into the milk or water.
2. Add vanilla.
3. More confectioners sugar may be added if the icing is not thick enough.


I won't rate this recipe. It was fairly simple and after all, I only did it so I could decorate the cupcakes. I'm not very good at it yet... maybe I should take the class. But my lack of skill for making flours was made up for by my extreme piping skills. It's not as easy as it seems filling the insides of a cupcake with icing.... -insert sarcasm-

Until next time...

Happy baking!

-Jordan
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. I think these look great. And I love the idea of the orange frosting with the chocolate cupcake. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bursting with frosting, huh? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jordan! These are lovely! Perfect for people who like a little cake with their icing:)

    And I wouldn't feel bad at all for using a mix - Giada does it all the time and she went to cooking school in France just to learn how to make proper pastry.

    I love that the icing is from an old cookbook. I'm obsessed with them and totally intrigued by how the further back you look, the more you realize nothing's new.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the more frosting the better...yummy!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...