Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chocolate Dreams



OMG. These are absolutely amazing. First off, they are a labour of love. Secondly, they are love incarnate. The chocolate and cookie separate are just average, but together they form the invincible, the unstoppable, the amazing chocolate dream! I got a little carried away, I know.

I knew I wanted to bake this weekend. I have about a week between assignments and I figured that while I have some free time, I might as well bake something. I'd seen these in the Mrs. Fields cookbook a few weeks ago but didn't make them because I didn't have any cream. Well, today my mom and I took a quick trip over to the store and got everything I needed, including about 10 Susan Boyle CD's.


They weren't very hard to make and I was really surprised by the dough. When I was done mixing everything it was in little clumps and didn't look right at all. But as soon as I took a handful and pressed it together I noticed that the dough was actually the perfect consistency. It wasn't too dry and it wasn't too wet. It was honestly perfect.


The cookies were a bit bigger than they were suppose to be. The recipe called for 2" round cookie cutter, but the only thing I could find was 3" so, needless to say, I was left with about 14 finished cookies, instead of the normal 2.5 dozen.

Ingredients:

Cookies:
3/4 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Chocolate Filling:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips


Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, cream the butter using an electric mixer at medium speed. Add the powdered sugar and brown sugar and beat until smooth. Add yolks and vanilla and mix at medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl and then add the flour and blend at low speed until everything is thoroughly combined.
2. Gather dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap or place in a plastic bag. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Prepare the filling: Scald the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the chocolate chips and sit until melted. Remove from the heat.
4. Preheat oven to 325'F.
5. Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough on a floured board to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut circles with a 2" in diameter cookie cutter and place on ungreased cookie sheets, 1 inch apart. Continue using the dough scraps, rerolling and cutting until all dough is used. Drop 1 teaspoon of chocolate filling in center of each circle and top with another circle. Completely seal the edges using the tines of a fork. Bake for 15-16 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. Transfer the cookies to a cool, flat surface with a spatula.
6. You can also sprinkle them with granulated sugar.


I promise you. If you make these you will not be sorry. They are one of the best cookies I have tasted in a long time. They're so different from the cookies I usually make, which are usually just of the chocolate chip variety.

Rating:
I give it an orange belt because, had my mother not been there (my saviour) I would have thought that scalding the cream meant burning it. I assume that other neophytes might do the same. It also involves rolling out dough and we know that when it comes to dough, children's lives are at stake!
Hopefully next post will include some Mexico pictures, once I can get them transferred to my computer.

Until next time: make cookies, eat chocolate, and remember... If someone tells you they have candy, go with them. It's CANDY. (Kidding.)


Happy Baking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. I love chocolate filled cookies, only that I am mostly too lazy to bake them myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I LOVE the Mrs. Fields cookbook - and the fact that she uses salted butter in her baked goods. Can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't these gorgeous? I love the idea of baking the sandwich together instead of assembling them after they've baked. They're like little chocolate pies! Thanks for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE from Oregon. I am going to bake these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...