Monday, March 22, 2010

Crab Cakes - oh my!


Last summer I took my second trip to New York City. For those of you who know me even a little bit, you know that I have aspirations to one day live in New York City (while still being a Canadian citizen, thank you very much), live on the Upper West Side, because apparently that's the new thing and be generally merry about my wonderful life in Manhattan. I wouldn't go so far as to say that when I have kids I want to be so "Manhattan" that I barely see them and hire exotic nannies to take care of them around the clock. Though, we'll explore that idea when and if it ever comes around. Kidding.

Well last year was the second time I had been. It was just my mom and I that time and we stayed at the New York Palace hotel. It sounds so fancy, and it really is. Do we have any Gossip Girl fans in the audience? Yes. Well, it IS the hotel where many scenes have been filmed, more specifically in the courtyard.


Anyways, back on topic. I'm starting to verge of my course (which seems to be something I'm very good at). While we were there we were only a few blocks away from Rockefeller Center and underneath Rockfeller Center is this amazing restaurant called Rock Center Cafe. When we went my mom made me promise that I would try something that I'd never eaten before and being in NYC, you had so many opportunites to eat amazing food. Well, I ordered crab cakes and man oh man were they tasty!

I haven't had them since. But today I decided that I was going to make them myself. Of course, no where near the New Yorkers standard but I'd give myself a pat on the back and an A for effort. Actually, make that an A+. They were very easy to prepare and only took about 10-12 minutes in the oven.

This recipe is courtesy of Kraft Canada.

Ingredients as seen on the Kraft website:

1 egg
1/4 cup  Kraft Rancher's Choice Dressing
2 cans (170 g each) crabmeat, drained, flaked
20 Ritz Crackers, coarsely crushed (about 1 cup) (I used regular bread crumbs)
1/3 cup Kraft 4 Cheese Italiano Shredded Cheese (I shredded my own cheese)
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper 
Directions: 
1. Preheat the oven to 375'F.
2. Beat the egg and dressing in a large bowl with a whisk until it is well blended. Stir in the crab meat and then add the remaining ingredients; mix well. Let it stand for about 3 minutes.
3. Shape into patties (the recipe says 24) but it all depends on how big or small you want them). Place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Bake for 5-7 minutes on each side or until heated through. Mine were a nice golden brown when they were done.
A lot of people cringe at the idea of having something as iffy as crab being used in the same title with cake, something we all know very well and love so very much. But, I promise you. Crab cakes are unbelievable.  I highly recommend you try them, even if it's just once. While you might not like them at least you can say to that person who asks you if you've ever eat crab cakes: "Hell yeah I have. Those were (insert personally taste)." Simple, right?

Rating: 
I rate this a white belt. There was nothing overly special about the preparation. 
Just mixing ingredients and making patties. Pretty easy-peesy.

Until next time; be safe, eat healthy, and always remember to listen to your parents. They might be old and incompetent but they seem to know what they're talking about. True story.

Happy crab cake making!

-Jordan

P.S. Yes, I know. No Mexico pics. I still haven't gotten them onto my computer, but I'm hoping to have them up soon. Take care!

Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. lol though I *refuse* to try crab cakes, the story was quite funny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look sooo delicious. It's crab cake time methinks in my kitchen too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jordan, this reminds me of my mum's fishcakes - I have been thinking to substitute it with crab meat. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jordan!

    We LOVE your site here at ModCloth! The karate belt-rating system? Genius! I'm sharing your blog with all my co-workers. :) Keep doin' what you're doin', because it's delightful - and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! They looks really tasty.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally super heart Gossip Girls...Chuck and Blair all the way!!! Sooo jealous!!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...