Friday, April 2, 2010

Orange Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

I opened my eyes at the sound of my alarm, my laptop laying beside me in bed. I roll over and check the time. 7:30AM. Damn, it was early. I groggily roll out of bed and take to brushing my teeth. This is not what I had in mind when I decided to wake up early and finish my cupcakes. 1AM isn't that late for falling asleep, but siz hours isn't very much sleep to provide sufficient rest for making icing, decorating cupcakes, and then taking pictures. At least not for me.

After realizing how tired I really was I fell back on to my bed to check my e-mail and do my morning routine of getting caught up with social networking. If only that was that and then I started my day. Unfortunately, I woke up again about three hours later. Better rested, but still as tired as a sedated horse.


I finally manage to get myself downstairs and in the spirit of cupcakes. In my home, you know spring has sprung when nearly every window in the house is opened and my parents are busy outside, cleaning yard and pulling up dead plants. Ah, spring; welcome back. Dear winter, kiss my a**.

I had started making these cupcakes last night around 9:15PM and didn't finish everything (dishes included) until about 11:15PM. I'm really just that slow. Plus, factor in the fact that I try and watch countless hours of Medium at the same time, and you have a really slow baker. I didn't get to try the cupcakes until today, because even though the recipe said it would make twelve, I only ended up with ten, and I wasn't about to lose out on a whole cupcake when the icing wasn't even ready.

I made the cream cheese icing this morning and used some new piping tips I bought. For the first time I'm actually very proud of my cupcakes. They don't look professional, but they do look a lot better than if the icing had just been spread over them carelessly.


Of course, in the spirit of the Easter season, I adorned the cupcakes with small M&M Easter eggs and some shredded coconut. I was trying for that bird nest look. Pass or fail?

Orange Chocolate Chip Cupcakes:
Recipe credit: Epicurious
I'm giving you the steps without their frosting recipe.

Ingredients:

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
Finely grated zest of 1 navel orange
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cups semisweet mini chocolate chips

Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then beat in egg, zest, and vanilla.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and mix into butter mixture at low speed, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4. Fold in 1/2 cup chips and divide batter among lined muffin cups.
5. Bake in middle of oven until pale golden and a tester comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn cupcakes out onto a rack to cool completely. 


Cream Cheese Icing:

Recipe credit: Allrecipes

Ingredients:

1 package cream cheese (about 8 ounces)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use. 





Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Those looks pretty amazing. If only I could get off the couch and create something that awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy...and perfect for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. though citrus and chocolate is not my cup of tea, this looks really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Citrus and chocolate is the most awesome combination! I made orange chocolate chip cookies the other day, they were THE BEST chocolate chip cookies ever.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...