Monday, May 24, 2010

Irish Chocolate Mint Dessert


I'm back and I mean legitimately back this time! It's been too long since I've shared a recipe and some photographs that I'm almost giddy about finishing this post and enjoying all the wonderful comments people leave. They make my day!

Today the rents and I went over to my sister's house for dinner, and in traditional Jordan fashion I used it as a perfect excuse to bake something. Originally my mom was planning on making brownies, but I couldn't just stand by when there were other delicious recipes to be made instead.

I shuffled through my new collection of Hershey's recipes and  found Irish Chocolate Mint Desserts. Anyone remember my Nanaimo Bars from last year? Well, these are very similar but the require actual baking time for the bottom layer, and of course, they're mint!


They're absolutely divine and the mint flavour is perfect. Mint is definitely one of those flavours that you can easily add too much of and ruin the entire thing.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) plus 6 tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa (or any other brand)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. water
1 tsp. mint extract
4 drops of green food colour
1 cup HERSHEY'S semi-sweet chocolate chips (or any other brand)

Directions:

Layer One:
1. Heat the oven to 350'F and grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan (I used two square pans).
2. Place 1 cup of butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until melted.
3. Stir in granulated sugar and vanilla.
4. Add eggs and beat well.
5. Add flour, cocoa and baking powder and beat well until blended.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.

Layer Two:
1. Prepare mint cream center by combining powdered sugar, 1/2 cup butter, water, mint extract, and food colour in large bowl.
2. Beat until smooth.
3. Spread evenly over brownies.
4. Cover and refrigerate until cold.

Layer Three:
1. Prepare chocolate glaze by placing the remaining 6 tbsp. of butter and chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until mixture is smooth when stirred.
2. Optional: What I normally do to melt chocolate is use a double boiler or a stainless steel bowl placed over a pot of boiling water on the stove. It works just as well and there's a lot less room for error.
3. Cool slightly then pour over chilled dessert.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
5. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.


This recipe is really simple if you can follow instructions easily. It really pays off because the dessert itself is unbelievable both in texture and taste. I highly recommend trying it, for the sake of yourself and all of mankind!

Until next time, happy baking fellow foodies!

TTYS,

Jordan
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious! How much mint extract did you use? I don't see it in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allie! Sorry about that. It's 1 tsp. of mint extract. I never would have noticed that I forgot it without you pointing it out.

    Thanks!

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family loves these brownies.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...