Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Best Jam Ever!

I'm so happy to have finally taken the plunge and finally cleaned up my blog and revamped it's image. I'm very pleased with the result and I hope you all like it. I'm much more comfortable with the clean, simplistic look. When I first saw it I felt about twenty pounds lighter. But, you didn't come here to read about me fawning over my blog. 

Riddle me this. What's the only thing to do on a summer's day that, despite your best wishes and your attempt at a ritualistic rain dance, just isn't going to happen? It's cloudy, it's raining, and overall, your pool just doesn't look quite as appealing when everything else around it is drenched in water. "That's suppose to be me," You think. "I'm supposed to be cooling off." But why would you cool off when your toes are frozen and you might as well be able to see your breath as you exhale.


But wait. Isn't it strawberry season? That's right. And aren't strawberries perhaps one of the best fruits there is. Forget applesauce. Forget grape jelly. Forget any fruit that might try to tell you that it's good mashed, because it's probably lying. 

Jam. Strawberry jam. That's all there is to it. Plain and simple.

I was lucky enough to be able to photograph my parents making jam. I mean, I could have sat there and sliced the tops off of berries for about half an hour, and then I could have mashed them, and stirred them, then jarred them. But in this case, my place was behind the camera. I think the rents loved hearing me tell them to move their hands so I could get a close up of the berries. I just told them it looked more natural that way.


Because of my curious little mind I dared to ask my mom how jam was made. Instead of answering the question with one word, she did what I love, and came up with a complete epic, complete with old jamming ways. She explained all about how jam used to be made by boiling strawberries and sugar until they got to a certain temperature, then came the sterilizing of the jars, and once the jam was in the jars they poured wax over it and sealed it with the lid. 


Now a days however, we have dishwashers to sanitize stuff for us, and refrigerators to keep everything fresh. We also have this little thing called preservatives. 
 
Best Jam Ever!
Recipe by Jordan of Kitchen Karate, and Rosemarie of Jordan.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of sugar
4 cups mashed strawberries
1 package Pectin, either Bernardin or Club House brands (which is the preservative that keeps it fresh longer and thickens it like a jelly)

Directions:
1. Cut the stems off of one four quart basket of fresh strawberries. Mash them.
2. In a separate bowl combine sugar and pectin.
3. Slowly pour the pectin and sugar mixture into the mashed strawberries and stir for three minutes.
4. Pour jam evenly into jars and let sit for 30 minutes to gel, with lids on.
5. The jam can be kept in the refrigerator for up to eight weeks or one year in the freezer.

Tips:
Because this jam is uncooked, it gives a much fresher taste & this recipe can also be used with peaches or any type of berries.


I highly recommend making your own jam. It's really easy and it takes almost no time at all! In addition, it also tastes a thousand times better than store bought jam. Looking for a great summer indulgence? Look no further.

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. thanks for following my site! I love strawberry jam, never made it from scratch before, but will def try it out one time. This jam looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit! I've been thinking about making my own jam for a while now, and I think you just convinced me to just do it already! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! There is nothing better than homemade jam in my opinion especially if made by mom :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, great pictures! Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love refrigerator jams, they are so fresh tasting.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous jam!! Love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once made a raspberry sauce to go on a dark chocolate cheesecake which was basically the "boil raspberries and sugar until everything turns pink." For the most part in my home we're not big jam eaters, so I'll probably give this recipe a pass... Lovely pictures, though, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the exact recipe I made! My grandmother's recipe. No cooking of the strawberries makes them so yummy. I have wondered what it would be like to make a roasted strawberry jam. I love roasted strawberries in salads. Doesn't that sounds interesting?

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...