Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Kitchen Sink Cookies

I have so much I want to say that I feel like I have nothing to say. Since my last post I've been trying to collect my thoughts so that I can dazzle you all with some real thoughts and then delight you with a recipe. But right now I feel so fuzzled that I can't think about what I really want to say. However, in absence of one solid topic, I thought I would present you with a few things that have been on my mind as of late.


1. Heidi and Spencer. First of all, she looks like a walking mannequin and he looks as if he's ready to be sent in with the paratroopers. I find it awfully convenient that as soon as they aren't on The Hills they "separate". Whatever. Crazy compliments crazy. I've sort of lost any tolerance I once had for their insane antics because, like any other person, I found it somewhat amusing. Now it just makes me want to throw things at them.

2. Equal Rights, and particularly same-sex marriage. We're fortunate enough to have same-sex marriage in Canada but I know that many states in America are currently without those rights. This is a subject that I could really get into, but my hands already hurt from typing.

3. Culinary school. Wouldn't that be amazing!?

4. Seattle. God, I want to go to IFBC this August. Please let me win the lottery or come into a lot of money really, really fast.

That's about it. I'd love to hear your opinion on any of these topics!


Last night I was sitting in the kitchen, bored out of my skull. Evenings have become a really big drag for me lately. After watching the usual evening shows I find myself in a bit of a rut and at a loss of ideas. So, I amuse myself with the internet, but even the internet can only do so much.  I'm the type of person that can't fall asleep until at least after midnight.

So, I baked. As usual, I chose the Domestic Goddess herself, Martha Stewart, to provide me with a wonderful recipe. I wanted something simple and tasty and also something that would be easy to transport to my sister's the very next day.

Kitchen Sink Cookies.

I know, the name makes me think of cookies made of drain gunk, but that's far from their actual makeup. These bad boys are nice and big and full of flavour. The original recipe called for several things like pecans and raisins but, of course, I only had chocolate chips... and half a milk chocolate bar.

The recipe says to bake them at 375' for 12-16 minutes, which I obediently did. However, after about 10 minutes my cookies started to burn. This is why I suggest only cooking them until they are golden brown or even reducing the heat to 325' or 350' and baking accordingly. Watch them carefully!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. light corn syrup
1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture just until combined.
4. With a rubber spatula, fold in chocolate chunks, raisins, pecans, and oats.
5. Drop 2-inch balls of dough, spaced 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten dough balls slightly. Bake 12 to 16 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned, rotating sheets halfway through.
6. Cool 5 minutes on sheets; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yields 24


The wonderful thing about these cookies is that they're big and full of taste. I have definitely found a cookie recipe that I will use more than once. A lot of cookies can come out too moist or too dry, but these ones are just right for my taste.

Until next time, keep on trucking! I mean... happy baking!


-Jordan
Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you with the whole Heidi and Spencer thing. They're annoying..... Anyway, what's the "IFBC" in Seattle? I live here and I haven't heard of it. haha.
    Love the part about the name "Kitchen Sink Cookies" making you think of drain gunk. I think the same. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies looks great, not at all the the gunk in the kitchen sink!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off Heidi and Spencer I just don't have enough energy to keep up with their dramama. I love Seattle and any trip I can get out there I would.

    Those cookies look a-maz-ing. I have recipe that I kinda formulated through time this is just like this. One day I'll be like "oh caramel chips too" and once I threw in praline ice cream topper. They are always so delicious probably just like the ones you made.

    I haven't forgotten about you, I'm emailing you back tonight, insanity hath ensued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm looks good!

    oh! and what is this Seattle business?! lol inform me asap! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..your cookies look delicious and your photos are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, who knows? A wad of cash might fall on your head, and you'd get to fly to Seattle in time for this year's IFBC. We'd love to see you there =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in New Zealand and the annoyance of heidi and spencer aka "speidi" reaches me a million miles away. I swear she's unstable up there and spencer, well I can't even put into words how much he rubs me the wrong way.

    I reckon equal rights for all! People should stop being so ignorant and close minded. Sigh. If only.

    These cookies look yum! I'd be up for eating these in the wee hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...