Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

I have to give a serious shout out to one of the best sister's in the world. I have two sisters, as many of you probably know, but the only reason I'm mentioning one is because of all the fun we had today. I'm not sure how she feels about internet privacy, so I'll call her R. R? Arrrrr?



Well, R has been on maternity leave since like August of 2009 when she was about one month away from popping two buns from the oven, and by buns I mean babies. Since then she's still been on maternity leave but a few weeks ago she was in an accident and broke her ankle on both sides. So, needless to say she's about as feeble as a dish cloth, which really isn't as insulting as it sounds, because I tease her about using crutches and a wheelchair all the time. I don't mean anything by it, but if I tease her she can't make fun of how I need a haircut!

Actually, she's been pretty outstanding considering the circumstances. I've come to think that should I ever be in her situation I'd just find myself a nice spot on the floor to crawl up and eat myself to death with cupcakes. But, the reason I love her so darn much is because of all the fun we have together. Last summer she moved about 30 minutes away, which first annoyed the petunias out of me, but actually, the drive isn't that bad anymore. I usually drive out there about once a week. But, ever since she's been unable to move like she use to, I've been running errands for her and pushing her in her wheel chair while she shops for summer clothes at Old Navy. Normally, I might resent someone for asking me to do so much for them when I have other stuff of my own to do, but thankfully breaking her ankle hasn't broken her sense of humour because I don't think I laugh as much with anyone else.

So, today I had a real good vent session with her. She's always the type of person who's able to be annoyed along with me and show her support, but she's also really good at playing mom and setting me straight. It has to be the ten year age difference. She was born, like, two decades before me. Which might sound like thirty years, but she was born at the end of one and I was born at the beginning of one.


I'm really just writing this post because, for anyone who cares, I love my sister. I love both of my sisters, but I'll fawn over the other sister in another post.

Reasons I love R:
1) She makes me laugh.
2) She always laughs at everything I say, which makes me feel completely appreciated and awesome.
3) She's like a second mother to me, but also one of my best friends.
4) She can relate to a lot of the stuff I've gone through in my life, which makes it so much easier to talk to her.
5) She's always there for me.
6) She's always willing to take baked goods off my hands when my mom doesn't want them in the house and I realize I've eaten too many.

So, if I can do this, I dedicate this post to R, one of the two best sisters on the planet.

Today's recipe comes courtesy of yours truly. It's my own variation of a few recipes. I originally made it into a cake for my other sister but last night I halved the recipe and made mini cupcakes with  my new mini muffin tin!

Half the recipe made about 24 mini cupcakes, so this recipe should make about 48.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate milk
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350'F. Put individual cupcake liners in each slot of a mini muffin pan.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. With a mixer, at medium speed, cream the butter and cream cheese until pale and well combined. Add the sugar until well combined.
4. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and chocolate milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
6. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Fill each cupcake slot about 2/3 full.
7. Bake for approx. 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Enjoy!


These are extremely moist and very delicious. They taste like mini muffins actually, but I prefer to call them cupcakes, because I made a cake with the same recipe.

Making my own variation was really fun. It was my first time and after this, I definitely need to try it again.

So, tell me; do you have any siblings? What are some of your favourite things about them? Favourite memories?

Until next time, happy baking!
 

-Jordan

P.S. HAVE YOU ENTERED THE MARTHA STEWART GIVEAWAY YET? YOU STILL HAVE UNTIL WEDNESDAY TO ENTER!
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. I'm the second of five total siblings, and the oldest girl (with only one older brother, poor him...). My second sister, and the one I really call my best friend, is also my twin, and also very into baking, but not so much crafts. I beat her into the world be eight minutes. After her, there's a step-sister I sort of glide around most of the time, and a much younger half-sister whom I take a fair amount of responsibility for. I can fill you in on this further another time- it's really quite complex...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is so cute! My oldest brother and I are the same way, ten years apart and everything. He is such a great advisor but also comic relief. That sucks that she's a gimp but it helps to have a good attitude!


    Those muffins look amazing seriously, you're a baking fiend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh that is so sweet! Thank you!! I have us scheduled for haircuts next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! The different colored liners really add a lot to their presentation :)

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...