Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bad Driving and Very Berry Explosion Cupcakes

There are four types of drivers out there.

1) The "eff you, I'm going to put myself and everyone else in danger just to get one car ahead" driver.
2) The "I know it's the highway but I'm still going to go 20 KM under the speed limit" driver.
3) The "I do no wrong on the road and I'll give you the finger if you even think about trying to switch lanes in front of me" driver.
4)The "you're going too slow for my liking so I'm going to ride your tail until you move or I decide to drive past you in a righteous fury and then cut you off" driver.


Now, often times, anyone of these four drivers can usually be encountered when driving. More often than not you'll have the pleasure of experiencing one of the four during light driving hours. However, when rush hour traffic hits it's important to remember that the "Eff you" drivers are out in masses, along with the "I Do No Wrong" drivers and the "You're Going Too Slow For My Liking" drivers. When you encounter these drivers in all their ferocity, feel free to flip them the bird just to make yourself feel better, or continue to sing along to the radio.
I find it satisfying, yet completely unsafe, to taunt them further. My advice would be to avoid their anger at all times because these people really don't want to be messed with. If you're going to slow down on purpose just to piss them off, make sure you're not slowing down by an unsafe amount, otherwise you'll probably end up getting rear ended and blamed for the entire thing.

Generally these four types of drivers are products of their environment. The drivers with a more angry outlook are generally the ones who have received bad news or are just generally miserable in life. I don't want to stereotype, but the slow drivers are usually elderly. Please. It's not mean, because we all know it's true. Drive slow, I don't mind. If driving slow makes you feel safe behind the wheel, than more power to you.


Something to note is that no physical trait can group someone into a type of driver. Generally it has to do with their mood and/or upbringing slash outlook on life that somehow forces them to drive like a maniac or like a snail stuck in glue.

We've all encountered them. So, my question for you today is, what was your worst driving experience? We all know rush hour driving definitely brings out the crazies, right?

A few days ago I was in the mood to make something summery, light, and full of something other than chocolate. "Berries!" I would shriek. "Something light, something fluffy..." It took a lot of thinking, but finally... "BERRY FROSTING!" Eureka!

The recipe below is one of my own variation, but I will admit to using a white cake mix. However, I have tried it with a regular vanilla cake recipe and it works just as well.



Very Berry Explosion Cupcakes

Cupcake Ingredients:
1 package Betty Crocker White Cake Mix, plus ingredients indicated on box
1 cup of fruit juice (I used cranberry and raspberry cocktail)
1 packaged of fresh blackberries

Cake Directions:
1. Follow directions for cake mix as directed on the box, but instead of adding water, substitute 1 cup of fruit juice.
2.Fill cupcake tins 2/3 full and drop one whole blackberry into each cupcake tin.
3. Bake as directed on the box.

Frosting Ingredients: 
The frosting recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart's Fluffy Vanilla Frosting recipe
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups icing sugar, sifted, plus 1/2 - 1 cup more to improve thickness
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla frosting
1/2 cup fruit juice
Fresh strawberries, hulled and diced into small pieces
Blackberries, cut into fours or smaller

It's important to note that if you plan on piping the frosting, the berries need to be as small as possible to fit through the piping tip.
As well, the amount of berries used depends on the person, but remember that berries themselves contain water, so too much could easily decrease the thickness and result in a runny frosting.

Frosting Directions: (Makes about 4 cups)
1. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
2. Reduce the speed to medium and add the confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. After every two additions raise the speed to high for 10 seconds to aerate the frosting, then return to medium. Frosting will be very fluffy and pale when done.
3. Add vanilla and fruit juice and beat until frosting is smooth. 
4. Add the diced fruit and fold in with a spatula. This is done to prevent too much liquid from the fruit from leaking out and it prevents the fruit from getting too mushy.
5. If the frosting is too runny, slowly add more icing sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
6. The frosting can be refrigerated for up to 10 days in an airtight container. Before using it again, bring it to room temperature, and beat on low until smooth, about 5 minutes.


For a family who loves chocolate, these cupcakes were an incredible hit! The combination of the subtle fruit in the cupcakes with the light fruity taste in the icing is unbelievable. These cupcakes would go great with a cup of your favourite tea!

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

P.S. If you're looking for a great new good blog, from a great new foodie, and a few pictures of adorable kids thrown in, then please hop on over to Creme de la Mom. Already she is proving herself to be an amazing cook and an excellent blogger, though there was never really any doubt! She may also be my sister, so unfortunately her blood is coated with immense talent as a result of her coming from the same gene pool as yours truly. Try not to hold the natural talent against her.
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. I don't drive... bikes are my friend. The recipe looks fantastic, but I'm not sure how big a hit it would be with my family. I'm in the mood for everything fruit, but they might not be. Not to mention that we're suffering an absolutely terrible heatwave, and baking is just out of the question.

    Congrats to your sister on getting a blog! I've been shamelessly unfaithful to mine, but then, mine isn't interesting or informative and I'm really more of a private journal person anyway.
    Yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol so true about the different types of drivers! Instead of giving the good old EFFinger gesture, I usually give them a clap and wind down my windows to make sure they hear it along with my very sarcastic "well done" remark.

    Love the cupcakes! i always enjoy berries in desserts and cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like drivers are the same where ever you go. I work just down the road from where I live and I still experience drivers like this every day on the way to work...

    At first I thought you were going to throw explosive cupcakes at them though :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to promote your sis! I am definitely going to try this cupcakes, maybe next week on my mountain getaway?

    I have totaled 2 cars so you know I've got some bad driving stories HOWEVER; this one takes the cake: I was WALKING through a parking lot one frosty morning and a Bronco comes barrelling around the corner and hits and sends me flying! Drivers are crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These looks amazing. I was slowing down for a toll and someone sped up behind me and quickly drove around me only to also be stopped by the toll. There were large signs warning that the toll was coming up. The best part was that I got through the toll first because a free one opened up. Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...