Friday, July 2, 2010

Bruschetta and Babies

Exhaustion. It's a ten letter word. Defined by yours truly, it means not being able to move, having aching feet, and feeling like no amount of sleep could ever suffice.

If you're wondering why I've chose to define exhaustion, simply put, it's because I'm exhausted. Due to unforseen circumstances, I played nanny for two full days on Monday and Tuesday to two twin babies and a wonderful four year old, who just happen to be my niece and nephews. After those two days I suddenly had a new appreciation for mothers who do that all day long. And by that I mean feeding babies, dealing with poop of the explosion variety, changing babies, and anything else that a baby could ever want. Add in one very active four year old and you've got exhaustion. It's the scientific formula.


As much as I love those kids, holy crow is it tiring, and these kids are really well behaved. Boy, do I feel sorry for those parents who have those few children who like to write on the wall and play barber shop with each others hair.

For the two days after I was temporarily relieved of duty, I felt like no amount of sleep would help me. Eventually I found the will to live again, and I got on with my life.

To add insult to injury, my sister's house is roughly a thirty minute drive from where I live, and that's without morning traffic. Factor in rush hour, and you've got close to an hour drive on your hands, plus the obvious coffee stop for your employers. This means getting up at 5:30AM and being there for 7:00AM. I'm sure a lot of you are like, "Heck, that's no big D." Well to those people I say, it probably isn't. But you see, this is a big deal for me. The person who, the day before I started, got up at roughly 11AM. Kind of a big difference, wouldn't you say?


Besides the two full days of nanny-ing and surviving the days by singing Mary Poppins and coming up with my own acronyms, I've celebrated a friends birthday by seeing Eclipse and eating chicken strips, survived another full day of babies (this time they were on my turf) and seen another movie. Alright, minus the babies, my life is pretty simple. Simple and carefree. I'm completely lucky to be able to do what I love while school is out.

Tonight, we feasted like real Italians. I get asked a lot if, because I'm Italian, we eat like twenty courses of food every night and then finish it off with a cheese platter. My answer to that is, no. We eat chicken. A lot of chicken; with veggies and rice. However, today we dined like semi-Italians. It was a dinner with Tortellini in an alfredo sauce, with dark chicken, and... bruschetta. Yours truly even helped. The bruschetta is something I make a lot, usually once ever week or two. It's fantastic and, no lie, one of the easiest things to make.
I actually got the recipe from the hunger inducing film, Julie & Julia. Watch it!

Bruschetta a la Amazing!
Recipe by Jordan of Kitchen Karate, inspired by Julie & Julia

Ingredients:
1 package of gourmet medley tomatoes
3-4 Tbsp. olive oil, plus another few Tsbps. for frying
2 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
1 loaf of Belgian bread

Directions:
1. Slice the bread into as many pieces as desired.
2. In a frying pan, toast the bread over a layer of warm olive oil. Flip, and toast until both sides are golden brown. Once both sides are toasted, remove bread from pan and set aside.
3. Slice tomoatoes to desired size and add to a small mixing bowl.
4. Add 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil, basil, sea salt and pepper, and stir.
5. Add more of ingredients as desired.
6. Spoon tomatoe topping onto slices of toasted bread. Enjoy.

Tips:
I usually let the bread cool for about a minute after removing it from the pan so that I don't burn my tongue on an excess hot oil.
Place toasted slices of bread on a plate with paper towel to remove excess/ unwanted oil.



The bruschetta is a part of my semi-new Get Into Summer mode. I'm going to be trying out recipes that inspire fun, creativity, and an appreciation for this time of year.

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan



Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm! I so need you to make this for me. I tried and the bread just got soggy from the oil. Maybe it wasn't hot enough... If you grate some fresh parmesan cheese on the top of the tomatoes, I think it would add an extra delicious flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bruschetta, babysitting on the other hand? not my forte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love babies, and I love Italian food... but not so much tomatoes. Really the only way I like to eat tomatoes is raw on sandwiches. I can't stand tomato sauce, either. My family almost won't call me Italian (which, yes, we are also Italian), even though I love pasta, alfredo, pesto, vinaigrette... there's just no satisfying them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bruschetta looks awesome! I'm sure you were exhausted taking care of that many kids. I get worn out just taking care of my 2 year old, I can't even imagine taking care of more at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved making my own baby food for my two. They ate it so much betteras well. Those canned ones invariably have not as ripe vegetables in
    it, and it doesn't taste as good. My oldest wouldn't touch jarred carrots, but loved mine. You can also (waaay easy) make your own rice
    cereal. No preservatives, no icky things (and one company used fish oil in their rice cereal, which we found my youngest to be allergic to.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a sort of blog we can have loads of information i would like to appreciate the intelligence of this blog’s owner

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...