Five things to do when you're experiencing an inconvenient, unholy heat wave.
1) Drink lots of water. I mean, obviously. Should you choose not to keep yourself hydrated you can expect to die and shrivel into a tiny raisin person. And no people, beer isn't water. Pretty sure it won't hydrate you.
2) Go for a swim. For those people who don't have a pool or access to one, you can substitute pool with bathtub. Remember that, because of the laws of nature, bathtub water has to be hot or it's awful but pool water can be nice and cool. If you're going to go swimming remember that the sun is out and drinking six beers with no sun screen on probably won't help you float when you pass out from heat stroke.
3) Eat some ice cream. Sadly it's too hot to go to the store, so you decide to make some. Wait, what's that? You don't have an ice cream maker? Well, you're screwed. Sorry.
4) Complain. This always works, but it's only a temporary relief. Other people aren't usually receptive to another persons whining, but if you do it just right and sort of sneak in each complaint here or there, you can usually get away with it. For example, casually approach the topic of the heat and say something like, "Wow. Is it ever hot." If the person shows some sign of interest in you talking then gradually build up to your frusturated voice in which you say, "Holy mother of Scott is it hot! I need relief!" Fan yourself with your hand franitcally while you wait for them to respond. Sometimes, on occasion, the other person will agree with you and together the first three options can be done with a buddy.
5) Move to Iceland.
For those who aren't privileged to live in Ottawa, you can rest assured that we've been scorching for the past week. The daytime heat has been consistently over forty degrees. I know, there are people in California and Phoenix etc. who are sweltering, but you know what I say? Isn't it always hot there?
Thankfully today, just before the deck party I was attending was about to start, Mother Nature finally decided to open up and cry. The sky for the past week has darkened in the evening, but no rain. However, the one time Jordan, the person who holds the record for least parties attended, decides to actually go to a social event, it decides to rain. Needless to say the deck party became a basement party. At least the basement had AC.
Well the other day I was seriously inspired by Bakerella. The stuff over there is incredible. Her Cake Pops are amazing. So, I decided to try my own variation, Rice Krispie Pops. I have no idea if she has already made them, so if she has I'm not about trying to steal credit. But if she has and you've seen them, would you link me? Thanks!
The recipe is very simple. Incredibly simple.
The outcome is amazing.
Rice Krispie Pops
Makes about 24 Pops
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 250g package of marshmallows
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
Chocolate Melting Wafers (I used milk chocolate and white chocolate)
1. Melt the margarine or butter and marshmallows in a saucepan. Add the Rice Krispies and stir until well combined.
2. When not too hot, roll mix into 2" balls and put a lollipop stick in one end. Place on a sheet of parchment paper.
3. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler bring a pot of water to simmer under a metal heat proof bowl. Don't let the bowl touch the water. It should rest on top of the pot.
4. Once the chocolate has melted, roll or dip the balls to cover as much as you want.
5. Place balls on parchment paper to cool and let the chocolate harden.
These are a really big hit with kids. I think it has to do with eating anything off of a stick. It's a little barbaric, but the cute factor is there. They also appeal to chocolate addicts like myself.
Don't forget to check back soon for the CSN Store giveaway!
Until next time, happy baking!
P.S. I'm linking these up to It's a Blog Party! Make sure to hop on over and check out all the other goodies!