Friday, August 6, 2010

Almost Carb Free Biscuits


Approx. 10 days ago I started on this food plan. Now, before you say "What? Food plan? Those are stupid!" let me first tell you why this is necessary and what it's all about.

This new plan involves a lower amount of carbohydrates, which practically eliminates bread, chocolate, cookies, and yes, even cupcakes. It's really sad, but it's necessary. What I've learned is that when you eat too many carbs and you have a VERY slow metabolism like myself, your body stores the carbohydrates and "eats" it for fuel. So, instead of burning fat, someone like me only burns the carbs in my body, which makes getting to the fat much more difficult.

At first I was all like, "Eff this s**t! I need chocolate!" and then I'd say something like, "I effing hate salad! No more eggs!" Because when you eat less carbs it's important to take in lots of protein. You'd be surprised at how many vegetables and even fruits have a lot of carbs.


I don't want you to think that I'll never be baking again, because please, it's me. My blood is like 95% Martha Steawart's butter cream frosting. After about 10 days of feeling sorry for myself because I felt like I was being punished by not getting to eat these foods, it dawned on me that eating the foods I love is totally possible, it just takes some imagination, which we all know I have. Sometimes I have too much of it actually. So, in the midst of feeling like I needed something to remind me of why I'm doing this, I made biscuits. But not just any biscuits. These are carb free biscuits. Or actually, biscuits with a lot less carbohydrates. The recipe was adapted from the Joy of Baking website.

Instead of all purpose flour I used almond flour, and instead of milk I used heavy cream. I plan on trying a lot of new things like this because I realized that there must be a lot of people in the world just like me who feel like eating like this is a huge burden, when it can really be a huge awakening. All it took were a few biscuits to remind me of that.

I also want to make it clear that I'm not doing this for medical reasons. I'm just doing this for myself and I have to admit it feels really good. But holy hamster I want some cake.


 Almost Carb Free Biscuits
Adapted from the Joy of Baking website

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups almond flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sweetner
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 heavy cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400'F and place rack in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sweetner. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cream and slightly beaten egg and stir until just combined. The texture will be very sticky, and maybe even runny. Add more flour until it's able to just keep it's shape in a paddy or ball.
3. You won't roll these out on a floured board, so with your hands make the dough into 2" paddies and place about an inch apart on the baking sheet.
4. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven to cool.

Yields approx. 12 biscuits.

Tips:
-I understand that these don't necessarily look like biscuits, but they take on a whole other vibe when you taste them because of the almond flour.
-I plan on trying these with less liquid to hopefully have a more malleable dough and I also plan on baking the biscuits in muffin tins to give them a shape that more resembles biscuits. But if you try them before I do, please let me know how they turn out!
- These make great substitutes for hamburger buns, but because of the way I made them they were very crumbly so I ate it with a knife and fork. Regardless, it was delicious!



I hope you all enjoy these!

Until next time, happy baking!


-Jordan
Share/Bookmark

16 comments:

  1. I'm off to the our local health food store tomorrow to look for almond flour.
    I've never heard of almond flour before.
    Looking forward to more new recipes and ideas.
    Thanks Again,

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Hamster (loved that one!) good luck!! Biscuits look delish and your pics are beautiful!!
    Btw, if I went carb free, I'd totally die. You are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the low carb recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, a whole new level of eating well to worry about... Here I've been subsisting on fruit and bread for two weeks and I learn that chances are I'm not even making that much of an impact.

    (And biking. I've been doing a crazy amount of that lately, too.)

    Let it never be said that reading blogs is not informative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These Sound great! Thanks for the ideas- keep em comming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tried this recipe two different times and both times I had the same problem, they just didn't rise. Only tried it because I was missing a couple of things for my usual buscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! They taste exactly like the biscuits at my favorite restaurant in the Adirondacks. They were easy to make and tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are a brave soul! I dont think I could go carb free just yet (or ever!) But good for you for taking care of your body :) I should cut back on the sugar and do more of that ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lost my own baking powder biscuit recipe and needed a new one. This one makes biscuits that are exactly what I wanted. I love to eat these hot out of the oven with butter and jam! Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Biscuits look delish and your pics are beautiful!!
    Btw, if I went carb free, I'd totally die. You are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids went crazy for these, very sweet and chocolately. The crust was a little tricky for me though, I don't understand why the butter needs to be melted in the oven? Next time I'll just put it in the microwave, mix in the crumbs and press into the pan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, these are some of the best tea biscuits ever and being half English I know my tea biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! These have a great taste we can have these with our evening tea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is definitely a very simple recipe for biscuits! I have made these biscuits 2 ways: with shortening or with butter/margerine. When I used the shortening, it made the biscuits flaky, but when I made it with the butter/margerine it made the biscuits softer. All in all, this is a GREAT recipe and my husband loves them everytime I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jordan, you're on the right track. I have the carb-processing problem too, had insulin resistance but lost 50# and got well via low carb diet (carbs restricted to 6 grams or less at breakfast, 10 grams or less at lunch and dinner. 3 meals per day, 5 hours apart. snacks if I need them but always fat-and-protein).
    This is PROTEIN POWER LIFEPLAN and DR. BERNSTEIN'S DIABETES SOLUTION. I've been low-carbing since October 2010. Feel great, no more high blood sugar, excess insulin after meals, or metabolic problems.
    Unlike you, I'm old, and really need to be well in order to do what I need to do. I'll be on this program for the rest of my life. You might not need to be, but watch that carb intake if you decide to go "normal". I'm so satisfied and happy on low carb that I can't imagine going back to high carb dieting...which isn't dieting at all, but the completely wrong style of eating for humans. (reference: Loren Cordain's books and scientific papers.)
    Links that might interest you:
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ (Eades)
    http://thepaleodiet.com/ (Cordain)
    http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/
    http://www.diabetes-book.com/ - (Bernstein)
    Good luck. Stay well. For the sake of your health, do what you have to do, meaning what keeps you well.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...