Saturday, August 28, 2010

Kit Kat Brownies with Butterscotch

kitkat

I'm sure many of us remember our very first day of school. I remember because of photographs of me waiting for the bus at my babysitters. I do remember my emotional state, which could easily be described as mixture of angst and excitement. I just wanted to get there and finally be able to say that I rode the bus and that I was in school. Oh, how the mighty aspirations were squashed over the years.

I remember nap time, which was probably one of the best ideas ever invented. Our classroom was something out of a children's story. We had a small couch, which was the perfect size for those of us under four feet. We had giant crayon pillows and a wooden play structure in the center of the room. Every day, when the teacher would tell us it was nap time, we'd all grab our beach towels (which were required) and we'd fight over the best spots. The couch, the crayon pillows, and under the structure were optimal territory. If you got one of those you were cool for the day. I learned quickly that if you wanted one of those that you needed to sit close to them during circle time. That way, when the teacher let you go, you were with in arms reach. 

IMG_1366

Another higlight of my life in kindergarten was, of course, Hot Meal Day. For those of you deprived of this luxury, it was one day every week or two where you would get hot food that your parents paid for in advance. Unfortunately, as you went higher through the grades, the meals got worse and worse. Kindergarten started out with KFC, most notably popcorn chicken, and through the grades the idea of a hot meal quickly changed to a disgusting slice of pizza from the pizzeria across the street. I was only in grade 5, but the sauce made me want to... you know.

My four year old nephew is starting school this year and I have to admit that I'm probably freaking out more than his mother. The idea of the nephew I held as a baby starting school freaks me out. More than that, it reminds me that I'm getting older too with every passing year. Hopefully the Toy Story backpack with matching lunch bag will help coax him in to the uncertain, hair pulling world of kindergarten. Tomorrow he gets to ride a school bus for the very first time at an information session. I hated riding the bus. There were no seat belts and I always got in trouble for switching seats when I was sick of the person I was sitting with.

IMG_1352

In grade 11 I was able to co-op in a kindergarten class which gave me this incredibly different perspective of four year old life. I'd discuss it further, but I'm already able to smell the construction paper and glue and the memories are giving me chills.

Thankfully I have these brownies to ease my "troubled life". These bad boys come straight from The Harrowsmith Country Life Baking Book, with a few alterations and add-ons.

Kit Kat Brownies with Butterscotch
Adapted from the Best-Ever Brownies (The Harrowsmith Country Life Baking Book)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Approx. 16 mini Kit Kat bars
1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350'F. Grease 6x10-inch pan.
2. Sift flour and cocoa together, and set aside. In a medium size bowl, combine cooled melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, mixing well. Stir in flour-and-cocoa mixture, and blend thoroughly.
3. Pour batter into greased pan. Place unwrapped mini Kit Kat bars on top of mixture, evenly spaced apart. Bake for approx 20-25 minutes or until brownies spring back when lightly touched. 
4. When brownies are relatively cool, melt butterscotch chips in the microwave and slowly pour over cooked brownies, spreading with a spatula as you go.

Yields: About a dozen bars.



Enjoy!

I have a new giveaway coming soon, so stay tuned!

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

Like on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. mmm!! looks good! :)

    and nice photoshopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely try these. I've made brownies from scratch before, and at this point they're the only things I can't claim to make better than a mix. New recipes are always welcome.
    I worked in a kindergarten room for a few months. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but it made me realize it's not exactly what I want to do for my entire life. (It had been something I was considering.) I do love kids, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm new to your blog but I love it so far!!!

    I love kit kats! These look amazing!

    I know how you feel about the getting old part. My niece just graduated high school and has a baby of her own. It's crazy to watch these kids grow up! I hope your nephew has a great time in school and you were able to drown your worries in these brownies!

    I look forward to getting to know you and your blog better! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Brigid I did the same thing and it made me realize that perhaps I wasn't as well suited for educating such young minds as I had previously thought. I'm glad you like the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Maranda I'm glad you like them Maranda! I'm also glad you're enjoying the blog as well. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay first off I am completely with you on the hot lunch in grade school decline. We had popcorn chicken too! And then the crappy pizza and then in highschool they brought in Jamba juice as one of the options (what kind of square meal is that).

    And I'm with you with the nephew starting school; I am in the exact same boat! My nephew just started kindergarten and I remember when he was born I was like "I'll be in my last year of college when he goes to school, that's SO far away" and now it's here and I'm old. Hold on while I go pluck the gray hairs out of my head.

    And finally: I am making those brownies. I'll admit I kind of just glanced at the picture and moved on to reading your post and then while I was reading I saw out of the corner of my eye a picture and I stopped and said "is that a kit kat? Yes, yes it is". I actually scrolled back up to read what you made and decided right then and there that kit kat brownies are something that I need in my belly. Now.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...