Sunday, August 22, 2010

Low Carb, But Still Amazing, Cheesecake


Having a new puppy is a lot like having a new baby. They both whine, they both cry, they both do the oddest things to get your attention. Of course, they both are babies, though one is immobile while the other, still having the brain capacity of an infant, can run around and chew everything in sight. Not to mention pee on everything and get tangled in it's leash. Though I suppose it's a good thing that human babies don't wear leashes. Could you imagine?


Last Wednesday we welcomed a fury little friend into the family. Leonard, an Australian Shepard, is only four months old. He's extremely active and at times I wonder if I got a dog that's going to need more exercise in one day than I am capable of exerting in my lifetime. Even though he walks in front of you while you're outside, eats plants from your mom's slaved over garden, has a craving for garbage, and gnaws on your scrapbook, he's an amazing addition to the household. I can't say, however, that I'm thankfu that I have to get up at 6AM to walk him. I plan on getting him off of his current routine, to one with more of a "Jordan feel." This would probably include approx. ten minutes of exercise (stair time is included), at least four naps, and bed early. This is hypothetical of course. I would never deprive the dog of the exercise he craves and deserves. Probably.


Over the past few days since he arrived in our home I've had the chance to learn about his behaviour, his habits, and his feelings. I feel like a proud new papa. I will say, off the record, that I may have gotten a tad bit teary-eyed when he finally grabbed the tennis ball in his mouth and walked it back to me; not to mention the frisbee that even I have trouble holding.

Ironically, the same day we finally picked Leonard up fell on the same day as my mom's birthday. I was so excited, because it gave me the chance to get into the kitchen and bake something. Birthdays are always a great time to experiment with a dessert I don't get to bake enough. After finally convincing my reluctant mother to accept a birthday cake, we finally agreed on a cheesecake. An adapted, low carb cheesecake. The recipe comes from  the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery, Volume 3, which is a part of a collection of A-Z cookbooks that formerly belonged to my maternal grandparents. Unfortunately we only have the C's. Our one book has delicious dishes, from Fried Catfish to Quick Cranberry Dishes. Everything that starts with a C, including cheesecake!


Secret Harbour Cheesecake
Adapted into a low carb recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups almond flour
1/3 cup firmly packed Splenda brown sugar
3 tbsp. butter (this is reduced because of the fat that's already in the almond flour)
1 pound cream cheese
1 1/4 cups Splenda white sugar
5 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cups sour cream
Sugar free toffee treats (taste just like Skor bars)

Directions:
1. Have butter, cream cheese, and eggs at room temperature. Mix almond flour, brown sugar, and butter with hands. Blend well. Press on the bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake in preheated oven at 350'F, for about 10 minutes.
2. Cream cream cheese well. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup Splenda white sugar. Then add eggs, one at a time, beating well  after each addition. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Pour into prepared pan. Bake in oven at 350'F for 35 minutes or until set. Remove oven and increase heat to extremely hot, 500'F.
3. Mix sour cream, 1/2 cup Splenda white sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Spread on cake. Return to oven to bake for 5 minutes. Cool, then chill over night so that it has a chance to get firm and hold it's shape. 
4. Remove rim of pan and cover with your favourite, cut up or crushed, sugar-free chocolates.


This cake is extremely delicious and amazingly creamy and rich. It may be low in carbs, but no one would tell the difference if they didn't know what you substituted.

Let me know if you try it out. I'd love to know what everyone thinks.


Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

P.S. I would mucho love all of you (more than I already do, of course) if you'd head on over to the Kitchen Karate Facebook page and become a liker! If you don't have Facebook, get it! It's almost as delicious as Low Carb Cheesecake!
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Low Carb cheesecake? Its the best of both worlds! Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are the calories etc. that we figured out for this cheesecake (assume 12 servings from a 9 inch cheesecake)
    - 310 calories
    - 26 gms fat
    - net carbohydrates 8.6 gms
    We have all the other stats if you would like them.
    Gracious recipient of the cheesecake
    - Jordan's mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen several low carb cheesecake recipe's, but none with an actual baked crust. Cheers! Can't wait to try this. Do you have other low carb recipe's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable and beautiful pup! Good choice, dad.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...