Sunday, September 19, 2010

How To: Pickle Peppers!

IMG_1509

I'll be the first to admit that, after about 6 years of living in my current house, I still don't really know any of my neigbours. Usually I'll blame this on them for not having brought us the customary  "Welcome New Neighbour!" pie or the stereotypical, but always appreciated, casserole.

The reason for my lack of interest in them is because either they're all a lot older or they're families with kids a lot younger. It's also extremely easy to recognize which people you don't know when there are only 12 houses on your entire street.


Usually I'll find myself watching them mysteriously from the front window as the man across the street decides to fill in the cracks in his drive way for the fourteen-thousandth time or the lady right next door to him decides to climb a fifty foot ladder to trim her hedges while her husband photographs it. 
On occassion I'll even leave the house to find a strangers dog laying on our grass. That's all fine. But do I know this dog? No. What's his/ her name? Todo? Lassie? Is the dog there to tell me that their owner fell down the well or has been supernaturally transported to a magical land full of munchkins and green women?

How would I know?

However, life proves to never be dull on the block when some scandal rocks the 12 houses. 

Actually. My street is just like Wysteria Lane. Only without Eva Longoria Parker and with less murders. 

Never mind. I love my street!




Now, from the bottom of my heart, my gift to you today is a fast, easy lesson on how to pickle peppers. Remember the rhyme? 
  
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked; If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

Who is this Peter Piper? Why is he so shady with all of his picked peppers?

Well, if you've ever run into someone who hoards all the pickled peppers from you, now you can make your own!

How To: Pickle Peppers!

Ingredients: Mini bell peppers, Garlic cloves, Peppercorns, Vinegar, Water, Pickling Spice, Pickling Salt
IMG_1470

Directions: 
IMG_1481

1. Wash the peppers, trim the stems, and make a small slash in each pepper to allow the vinegar to be absorbed.

IMG_1468

 2. Sterilize the jars and lids in large pot of boiling water. Make sure to add about an inch of water to the bottom of each jar to allow the insides to clean as well.

3. Once sterilized pack each jar with peppers, three cloves of garlic, four to six peppercorns, and a pinch of pickling spice.

IMG_1494

4. Boil 50% water and 50% vinegar (enough to fill all the jars) and add 1 tsp. of pickling salt for each jar. Simmer for about 3 minutes. When done, pour over peppers, leaving about 1/2" of space at the top.

 5. Run a sterilized knife around the inside of the jar to make sure there are no air bubbles.

6. Store for at least two weeks in the fridge before eating.

IMG_1509

Enjoy!

I hope you really enjoy these! We're still waiting for our latest batch to finish!

Let me know if you plan on trying this. I'd love to hear about your experience!


Until next time, happy pickling!

-Jordan

P.S. Thanks to my Mom for teaching me how to make these and for holding the laddle while I nagged you about how to properly pour the mixture.

If you liked this post, why not:
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

  1. Love the photos, they are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh! I might be making this. I've never pickled anything other than...well...pickles. :p and by "I've never" it means my parents. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I don't have to come over for a lesson now! How come your peppers are so tiny? I have twelve pepper plants out back and they are starting to do their business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not your normal recipe post. :)
    Sadly, I despise all things salt/vinegar, so I won't be trying this any time soon, but I can still gush because your pictures are GORGEOUS. Everything looks colorful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pickled pepper look great. Maybe you should share some with your neighbors!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos of your gorgeous peppers.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you hot water bath these for longer storage?

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...