Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookies with Coffee Crisp

cookies1

Before I get in to my topic of the day I just want to point one thing out to the people out there who, much like myself, woke up this morning completely oblivious to the fact that the month has once again changed and that, in fact, we are now in that time of year that everyone dreads. That's right my friends. It's September. I'm sorry to say it, but it is. I understand your frustrations and anxiety about the coming months, but let's be realistic. Things could be worse, right? Right?


Oh, who am I kidding. This blows.

For those of you who have allergies, especially to satan's minion, AKA ragweed, this time of year is especially difficult. Allergies are like having a cold 24/7 during ragweed season, which runs roughly from the beginning of August until the end of September. I've had people at my old job ask me why it's such a big deal and I would reply with a subtle, yet effective, curse to their future offspring. Actually, I'd just shrug and think about what I'd say to them.

Many people who don't have allergies really don't understand the struggles that us anti-ragweed people face. Let me break it down for you, ok?

1. When you have seasonal allergies (oak, grass, maple, birch, ragweed, pollen etc.) you blow your nose an average of 40-50 times per day... if you're lucky.

2. You're constantly doped up on allergy medication that, if not taken in conjunction with food, makes you feel like you've been force fed a roofy. I've personally spent many mornings wandering around the house looking for something that just isn't going to be found.

3. You're afraid to go outside. I'm actually not kidding. Outside is bad, inside is good. The air conditioning is your best friend.

4. Your eyes get so itchy that rubbing them feels amazing but also doesn't really help the cause of trying to make the itching stop.

5. Much like traditional illnesses (the flu, common cold) you can experience fluctuations in body temperature, meaning you'll be raging hot one second and freezing your asterisk off the next

6. You barely sleep.

IMG_1398

All that, and more, is what some people just don't understand about having seasonal allergies. Thankfully I've built up a relatively strong immunity to the rest of the summer allergens, but there are still people out there who suffer from May to October. Let's all send them a huge virtual hug!

However, one of the good things about being too paranoid to leave the house is that you have a lot of time to bake. Which is how I found these wonderful cookies; the recipe for which I got from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen, but minus out the M&M's and sub in Coffee Crisp!

They're wonderfully delicious and the peanut butter makes them extremely chewy, while the Coffee Crisp adds just an extra hit of delicious flavour.

Peanut Butter Cookies with Coffee Crisp

Ingredients:

1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
A bunch of crushed up Coffee Crisp

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 375'. In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream the margarine, brown sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Stir in the egg, milk, and vanilla until well combined.
3. Stir the flour mixture into the peanut butter mixture until completely mixed. Add crushed Coffee Crisp!
4. Drop heaping spoonfuls on an ungreased baking sheet, a few inches apart. Mine were really large, which is why they were so massive and delicious. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Check them regularly so they don't burn on the bottom. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for several minutes, then transfer cookies to wire rack.


These cookies are to die for and I'm not lying. If you don't believe me, just read what Kristan wrote. Her word would probably be much more credible than mine.

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

If you love me, then why not:
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

  1. These cookies look delicious. I've made peanut butter cookies exactly twice and they're delicious. Recently it's been much, much too hot to bake here (but that didn't stop me yesterday, and pancakes were made this morning...) I suppose I just don't have the right idea when it comes to beating the heat. I suffer in the heat then shower it off.

    I don't have allergies, though. And I'm very glad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to make cookies after we have left over halloween candy (I always pick out the coffee crisp and keep them for ourselves).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good! Yup...I have to have these. Thanks for sharing...and sorry about the allergies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allergies are a drag, but PB cookies can do a lot to alleviate your sorrow.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I luv your photos and how you text label them. These peanut butter cookies sound especially good with the coffee crisps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Gosh! These look amazing. I am so glad to have stumbled upon your beautiful blog.
    Sorry to hear of your allergies. I've grown out of most of mine. But at least I never had a food allergy - don't know what I'd've done then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Allergies are a drag, but PB cookies can do a lot to alleviate your sorrow."

    unless you're allergic to peanut butter

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...