Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Very Berry, Chocolate Layer Cake

cake


While I'm really scared (ok, petrified) of going back to school, I can't help but think that my status has since risen from last year. Then I was a second year. Now I'm a third year. Usually in high school this means you can walk around with much more swagger than in previous years, but in university, no one can really tell the difference. I once met a grad student who looked like she had just gotten back from a Welch's Grape Juice commercial shoot.

Of course, with a new year comes the realization that I'm that much closer to obtaining a degree. In two more short years I will officially hold that piece of paper, worth approximately 25000 dollars, that says I'm educated. I'll need to laminate this thing and keep it in a fire proof box somewhere safe guarded by dogs that shoot bees from their mouths. I should also make a photocopy in case the thing that tries to steal the original is a shark with a laser beam.

....

Anyways. There's also the problem of deciding what to do once I'm finished. Of course, a part of me would love to throw my graduation cap off and scream at the top of my lungs that I'm done forever and ever. Maybe have some background music playing (preferably We Are the Champions) while I slow motion dance around the auditorium. But, you know me, I love school... Quiet. 

IMG_1532

There's always the possibility of graduate studies. This would mean at least another year of schooling and a heck of a lot more research. I'm also thinking that to write a thesis I'll need more than Wikipedia. I may be forced to go to the library. 

Graduate studies might mean that I could travel abroad to get a Master's. Preferably New York City, where I can start out renting an apartment in the East Village, perhaps get an internship where I get coffee and have no fashion sense as I deal with a heinous boss who wear's Prada and is comparable to the devil. Then slowly she'd begin to admire me for my hard work and determination and the fact that I don't take her crap (which I learn to do after calling my mom in tears from a pay phone on the street). I'll then get a raise, followed be a promotion to a VP job. From there lower Manhattan just won't suit my newly acquired tastes. I'll have long since finished my Graduate Studies and will now be moving to a magnificent apartment on the Upper East Side where I'll deal with the ups and downs of financial independance (which will be few and far between because I'm now rich), relationship turmoils, and the very real possibility that my favourite Chinese restaurant will be shut down.

Sigh.

What was I talking about before?

....

I made cake! 

I got the recipe and idea for the chocolate cake from Whisk Kid . Instead of being cooked in an oven, this cake is cooked in tupperware containers in the microwave, which I noticed cooks it more evenly and is far less likely to burn the edges or the bottom.

IMG_1517

It's best to use containers that are flatter on the bottom and vertically straighter which will result in you having to do less trimming. Plastic works best for the microwave.


Very Berry, Chocolate Layer Cake
Adapted from Whisk Kid  

Ingredients:
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk (or milk plus 1 tsp. of vinegar)
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla 

Directions:
1. Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. 
2. Mix eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla  in a separate bowl. 
3. Add the liquid ingredients on top of the dry ingredients and mix gently until smooth. Make sure all the batter is mixed.
4. Grease your container (best to use glass. Don't use metal!) with butter or cooking spray. Pour the batter into the container as high as you want, but keep in mind that it will most likely double in size. 
5. I was able to make three margarine container cakes with this recipe. Microwave the container on high for 4-6 minutes. It's best to start with 4 and add more if it's not done. It's done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean, or it springs back when touched.
6. This cake is going to seem much more spongier than a cake taken out of the oven, because it's cooked almost completely. Once the cake is cool, remove it from the container and put on a wire rack.

Very Berry Frosting

Chocolate Frosting



The cake is extremely moist and very well cooked. I can't help but feel like it tastes more like a cake because I'm not worried about the overcooked edges etc. Of course, you can add any type of frosting you'd like, both as a filling and to coat the outside. But the combination of the rich chocolate frosting with the natural sweetness of the berries is amazing!

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

Like on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I say its a plan. You working for a fashion magazine, me a big time attorney in a major NYC Firm. We will rule the world together. ;)

    BFF! :D

    ....

    now that that icky emotional stuff is over...how bout you bring me over MY SLICE of the cake? *glare*

    :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! I adore all the chocolate on yellow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's crazy that you make this cake in the microwave!!!

    Congrats on starting your third year at university. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life and I have a BS and am already 30. Boo! I'm sure things will fall into place for you! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...