Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cherry, Cherry Pie!


This was my first ever attempt at making pie. I was left feeling vulnerable, used, and alone. Everything started out great. I followed Martha's instructions to the T. I leveled the flour with a knife and I even cut the cold butter into small squares. The food processor did it's job and I was feeling like I was on top of the world. I confidently divided the dough and wrapped each half in plastic wrap and waited for an hour, like SHE SAID, as it firmed up in the fridge.

An hour had past and I was itching to put my natural pie making skills to work. With my confident, not cocky, disposition, I floured the counter and the rolling pin very generously and unwrapped the dough. It was time.



After a few food rolls my confidence started to wobble. I felt my knees tremble as I realized that this wasn't going the way I had hoped. I started to sweat and I could hear the taunting laughs emanating from the dough that simply refused to flatten and cooperate. In my frantic state of uncertainty, I sought comfort and solitude in the only place I could find. Twitter.

I was told that the pie dough would be easier to work with when it warmed a little bit. However, I soon realized that any and all advice I received was for not. I was working with the Devil's pie dough.

 I wasn't about to back down, but the enemy was stronger in numbers and harder to contain. My confidence was reaching a critical low.


It's true. I was close to a mental breakdown. I was tired and everyone was asleep. I don't think I'd ever felt so alone in my entire life. But I quickly resolved that in this battle, there would be only one victor. Only one of us was getting into that oven while the other one would watch and dance around the kitchen.

 
Thirty minutes later and three attempts to get the dough into the pie plate, and I was spent. My clothes were covered in flour, but the pie was in the oven and I did dance. I danced all night long.

It really is an amazing pie. The crust was a little too thick, but I'm semi-confident that in my future pie endeavors, I'll be nothing but 100% victorious!

You'll also be happy to know that by the next day, I was almost back to my usual peppy, yet easily disturbed self.


The pie crust recipe is via the Martha Stewart website and the cherry filling is via a can of E.D. Smith Cherry Pie Filling.

Cherry, Cherry Pie!
Crust recipe via Martha Stewart website

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400'F. In a food processor combine the flour, salt, and sugar and pulse briefly. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed. If necessary add up to 1/4 cup of water, 1 tbsp. at a time, but do not over mix.

2. Divide dough in half and turn out onto two large pieces of plastic wrap. Fold plastic over each portion of dough and press to shape into two 3/4-inch-thick disks. Refrigerate until firm (at least 1 hour).

3. On a floured surface, roll one disk of dough to a 14-inch round. Wrap dough around the rolling pin and unroll it over a 9-inch pie plate. Gently fit into the bottom and sides of the plate without stretching the dough. Trim the dough to a 1-inch overhang all around and refrigerate until ready to use. You can either use the other half of the dough for the top crust or to make lattice. However, you could also do what I did and just exclude it all together.

4. Add the can of E.D. Smith Cherry Pie filling and spread evenly around the pie. Place pie in the preheated oven on the bottom rack for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350'F and continue cooking for 40-50 minutes until golden brown and the juices are bubbling. Remove from the oven and let it cool for at least 2 hours before serving.



Enjoy!

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

Like on Facebook
Share/Bookmark

15 comments:

  1. Yay to pie! Congrats on making your first one.

    Here's my trick for pie crust: roll out your crust on a piece of parchment paper. Then, you get to just lift it up with the parchment and turn in into the pie plate--easy as pie! Also, a really big, heavy duty (silicone non-stick) rolling pin does *wonders.* :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one GORGEOUS PIE. Congrats, Jordan :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next pie make it peach with a lattice crust on top. Just like my Grammie used to make. Then I'll be right over ha ha (great job Jordan)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea who you are other than u know Roxy but them pies look great and the photos themselves are also excellent. if pastry chef doesn't work out consider food photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! We had cherry pie tonight and peach cobbler at our Sunday family dinner and most everyone chose the cobbler. Were they crazy? Probably not - the cobbler was hard to beat but NOTHING can compare with the tart sweetness of a good cherry pie in my opinion. This looks great - great job on your very first attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm!! looks yummy! Im sure next time will be a lot easier :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember my first endeavor with pastry dough. I was making an apple tart. First I chilled the dough too long and it dried out, but on the second attempt nothing far too terrible happened. It was far more delicious than a store-bought pie and golden, flaky, and buttery. I used to the same recipe for an actual apple pie later, and at that point the hardest part was coring and peeling eight apples. Ugh. (Yummy, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't let the pie man get you down! Glad you conquered it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your story! How come I didn't get a piece of it when I was over?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember those tweets other day.lolLook how gorgeous your pie turned out.Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha lovely post, amazing pictures (seriously, some people get paid to take food pictures that good!) and I WANT YOUR PIE WOMAN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for providing some office entertainment today - we were laughing our heads off reading your Cherry Pie account... and the pictures were so beautiful, I need to now try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there! Cute entry :) I actually just made a pie last week and had the same problem! It's because you didn't have enough water. I know the recipe calls for 1/2 cup but I end up using 1/4 more to bring it all together. (Also I cheated and started rolling out the dough all over again and ...eeeek.. overworked the dough, but honestly if you use my recipe it will taste so good it won't matter the flakiness. Also you shouldn't have a problem rolling out this dough, hopefully I have perfected the recipe) Cheers!
    http://lepetitogre.blogspot.com/2011/06/pate-brisee-featuring-blueberry-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have an awesome recipe for pie crust on my blog that never fails.

    I did have a similar encounter with pizza though dough where I started cursing at the yeast (http://www.ironwhisk.com/2011/10/a-blogger-vs-a-pizza-a-motivational-story/)

    Pretty pictures.. make me want pie.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...