Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chicken Breasts with Tarragon Cream Sauce and my Super Acute Superstitious Awareness

IMG_3260


I'm a very, very, very superstitious person.

It's really not normal.

Over the years I've come to develop what I like to refer to as a "Super Acute Superstitious Awareness" which means, if you're as less avid about superstitions as I am, that I can practically smell a crack and avoid it, lest I break my own mother's back. If I see a black cat, I'll gladly detour an extra ten minutes to avoid letting it cross my path.

Yes sir, I'm pretty much a bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out this kind of stuff.

One of my worst traits associated with superstition is my obsessive need to knock on wood. You know, someone says something that could jinx the picture, so you knock on wood to, I don't know, silence their words, and hope that the great fates don't take a listen.

I've come to notice as well, that many people aren't as well versed in this art as I am. Knocking on wood is like an involuntary reflex that I've come to develop. Explaining it to someone generally goes like this.

Other Person: I got a B. I bet you got an A.

Me: *Knocks on table, made of wood*

Other Person: What was that?

Me: You almost jinxed it.

Other Person: What?

Me: By saying I'm going to get an A, you inevitably would have jinxed the picture. Thank god I was here to knock on wood and cancel out your damaging words.

At this point, one of two things can happen. Either A) the Other Person accepts my superstitious super powers and begins to worship me like a god, feeding me grapes and doing my homework, or B) I lose yet another friend to one of my many weird obsessions.

B seems to be the most popular choice.

Either way, one thing I'm not superstitious about is how much I love this recipe. Speaking as someone who eats chicken pretty much everyday, I eventually came to the conclusion that I need to spice things up a bit or turn in to one of those people on My Strange Addiction who eats their own toenails.

This recipe is low carb and very tasty, great for those of us who are watching our waist-lines! AKA not me. AKA,AKA actually me.


IMG_3273

Chicken Breasts with Tarragon Cream Sauce via Atkins

Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or 3/4 teaspoon dried (I used basil, which tasted amazing)
salt
pepper
bacon, cooked (optional)
cherry tomatoes (optional)

Directions:

1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter with the oil. Brown chicken breasts on both sides. Reduce heat and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, just until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
2. Add cream to the skillet, scrapping up brown bits. Stir in mustard and tarragon (or basil). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Pour sauce over chicken and enjoy!
4. For a little extra flavour, I added some crumbled bacon and cherry tomatoes. We appropriately named it BCT, for Bacon Chicken Tomato.

Until next time, happy cooking!

-Jordan





Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Haha - cute post. I'm not superstitious myself, but I wouldn't blame you for being like that at all!

    This looks super tasty! I really like how you plated it with the simple garnishes on top. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken & tarragon are the perfect match !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post. I grew up with all the Italian women in the family working on huge superstitions so I think it turned me the opposite way, yet I understand it....if that makes sense! The chicken looks fabulous. I love tarragon and am always looking for more uses for it. The bacon piled on top takes the cake but the sauce oozing down the side is quite appealing as well. Lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious - and I am totally a superstitious person.
    Great post and blog and beautiful pictures! Lots of talent here.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...