Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Macarons in the New Year!


IMG_3028

When I posted my first recipe back in 2009 I never expected that I would be where I am now. Unfortunately, no cookbook deals have come my way and I haven't been asked to cook on Oprah. But, looking back, I'm so very thankful for all the people I've been able to meet and who have given me more inspiration and confidence than I could have ever hoped for. Of course, I'm also thankful that none of them decided to ditch me when they realized how totally annoying I can be. I've seen them all rise to huge popularity and it gives me such pride to see them all so successful.

I've realized something over the past year, and that's that your own success is great, but being able to see people close to you succeed is even better. And the best part of others succeeding around you is that you can totally piggyback of their success. No, I'm totally kidding. Sort of.

I'm going to take a minute of your time and quickly turn this in to something where I have to thank some of the great people who I had the privilege of meeting in 2010 and who have, without-a-doubt, constantly inspired me to be better and eat more sweets. If you have the time, I highly recommend you check out their stuff. It'll make your mouths water. I'd also like to share some of my favourite tweets that I've received from my favourite foodies. Not knowing the context they're in makes them even funnier!

Each of these foodies has given me something different but equally amazing, including, but not limited to, great inspiration and encouragement!

Kristan @ Confessions of a Cookbook Queen

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking

Azmina @ Lawyer Loves Lunch


Other great foodies who I love, include: Edible Moments, Desserts for Breakfast, Whisk Kid, honey & jam, A Sticky Affair, and Handle the Heat. Please go and check them all out. They're all amazing!

Aside from the blog world, 2010 was a great year in other respects. School was fantastic. Of course, no year is perfect and I was faced with many challenges both emotionally and physically (i.e. about 20,000 colds). But I'm confident in the New Year and what it has to bring and I can only hope the same for everyone else.

Finally, on to why you're all really here. Well, after finally conquering my fear of Macarons, and some Tweets of encouragement, I finally mustered up the guts to take them on full force. And you know what? They turned out great! Granted, I'm a little biased because I did eat them all by myself, but you know how it goes when you're in the heat of the moment.

IMG_3036

Macarons via Whisk Kid


Ingredients:

90 gr egg whites (about 3)
30 gr granulated sugar
200 gr powdered sugar
110 gr almonds

Directions:

1. In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites to a foam and gradually add the sugar until you get a glossy meringue. Beat until you can hold the bowl over your head without the egg whites slipping.
2. Place the almonds and powerdered sugar in a good processor and pulse until the nuts are finely ground (I used almond flour, thus eliminating the need for pulverizing them. Instead, I just whisked the two ingredients together). Sift the mixture into the meringue and give the egg whites a quick fold to break some of the air pockets that may have formed and then carefully fold the almond and powedered sugar mixture until you get a batter than falls back on itself after counting to 10. The whole process should take no more than 50 strokes. Test a small amount on a plate and if the top flattens on its own. If it does, you're in business. If there is still a stiff peak, give the batter a few more turns.
3. Fill a pastry bag with a fitted tip with the batter and pipe small rounds (1.5 inches in diameter) onto parchment paper or silicone lined baking sheets. Preheat the oven to 280'F.
4. Let the macarons sit out for 30 minutes to an hour to harden their shells and then bake for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on their size. let cool.
5. if you have difficulty removing the shells, pour a couple drops of water under the parchment paper while the sheet is still warm and the macarons will lift up easier due to the moisture. If you let them sit their too long they'll become soggy.
6. If not being used right away, store in an airtight container, out of the fridge, for a couple of days.
7. To fill: pipe or spoon about 1 tablespoon of buttercream frosting in the center of one shell and top with another one.

IMG_3034


Happy New Year everyone!

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I'm happy to have met you and come across your blog as well!

    Your macarons look absolutely perfect. Great job!

    Oh, and I just want to let you know that I think the link to Edible Moments is broken ;)

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! The macs turned out great! Congrats, congrats. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The macaroons! STILL on my to do list. I'm still too chicken to do it though. AND great improvement this past year mah dear! Your pictures have improved immensely! :)

    Keep it up! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's such a cute post! And I am friends with and LOVE most of the blogger friends you wrote about here and still I just got to know you! That's funny!
    So glad Stephanie retweeted ur post and I got to know you!
    Following u now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're macarons looks fantastic! I'm yet to try making them again after a few failures. And thanks for the mention Jordan, I'm so happy to have met you and your blog in 2010 as well! Hope you have a fabulous 2011 :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on the macs! I had to talk myself into trying them, but now I'm hooked! :) Here's to 2011, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my. Why haven't I stumbled upon your blog before? Just read a few posts and hooked. Thanks to @LawyerLovesLnch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've recently gotten hooked on Macs too! Love yours! :) Great blog, new fan, and sidenote: Inlaws are in the O.Dot!!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...