Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cherry Topped Macarons and a Happy Freakin' Valentine's Day

macarons1

There are three types of Valentine's Day people:

First, there are the people that I like to call the "OMFG IT'S VALENTINE'S DAY! LOVE YOU FOREVER AND ALWAYS BABY GIRL/BOY" people. These people are probably in a new relationship, probably no more than two months, three tops. Generally the relationship is made up of two teenagers who are newly exploring their extensive hormones and just can't wait to celebrate their love over a Big Mac. Gifts for this couple include a plush Cupid for the lady and some over-priced watch or other gadget for the guy, because let's face it, girls tend to spend more. Activities for this couple may include watching a movie (recommendations include P.S. I Love You or My Bloody Valentine in 3D, depending on relationship trends). My advice? Enjoy it while it lasts.

The next type of people are the "OH, IT'S VALENTINE'S DAY? I TOTALLY FORGOT. GOOD THING WE SAID NO GIFTS!" people. At this stage, the relationship has probably been consistant for a minimum of one year and the couple is starting to lose steam. They've seen each other naked and now they're just ambivalent towards each other. Generally this pair consists of young adults or middle-aged folks finally settling down. Romantic dates might include a low to mid priced dinner at a restauraunt downtown or a trip to the jewellery store to over-compensate for the lack of shared intimacy. The overachievers in this category may even propose. Let's hope the ring doesn't wreak of desperation... or a pear shaped diamond.

And finally, we have the "I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY AND ALL IT STANDS FOR, WHICH IS A CORPORATE SCAM CREATED TO DRAIN THE WALLETS OF THE LOVE SICK POPULATION" AKA the loners, AKA the singles. Romantic dates may include grooming your cat, feeding your fish, or updating your blog with tasty Macarons that you definitely didn't eat all by yourself. Whatevs. I'm independent and I like it.

Sorta.

These Macarons are great for sharing with your loved one, or throwing at each other if you're in to that sort of expression.

macarons


Cherry Topped Macarons with Orange Buttercream Frosting

1. Make your Macarons (Add 2-3 drops of red food colouring)
2. Add 1-2 tsp. orange extract to your favourite buttercream frosting recipe
3. Top with a maraschino cherry, using extra frosting as a glue.

Enjoy!

Until next time, happy Valentine's Day!

-Jordan
Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

  1. That really is making my heart both flutter n ache :-)
    That looks SO good Jordan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your macarons looks perfect Jordan! And I love the sound of the combination of cherry and orange. Happy valentines to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in camp 3 with you, but I'm still hoping my boyfriend buys me [cheap] flowers. We said no gifts, but... I guess I'm just that kind of girl ;)

    The macarons look perfect! I haven't had any in ages. Now I want to make some, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! Everything you wrote is true and these macarons look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good, i have never tried macaroons like this but i love cherries!!
    I am neither for nor against Valentine's Day, my birthday is a few days away so as long as i am spoiled for that i am OK. Looks like this year i am being spoiled tonight, i can handle that, but it is a super spoiling i am getting, so i hope he does not go all out for my Birthday as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too funny! Love the macaroons, they tasted fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cookies!!
    If I was any good at making macrons, I definitely would've spent this monday making some. And definitely not eating them all by myself ;)
    The presentation is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what lovely macarons !!! and such a good idea to play with on valentine's day !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Prerna - Thank you so much! They were so much fun to make, even more fun to photograph, and MUCH more fun to eat!
    @Sheena - The cherry and orange tasted great together!
    @Whisk-Kid - I know it's about two weeks later, but I'm hoping you got those [cheap] flowers you were after! ;)
    @Kenni - Thank you! Glad you like them :)
    @egbkid What's even better is when your spoiled for both days. Two events that close together are sure to bring extra presents!
    @Roxanne - Glad you liked them :)
    @LaCasitaInspirada - I was actually really pleased with the presentation too! I can't help it that I like to eat what I make. Don't judge me!
    @a frog in the cottage - Thank you! It was a last minute idea to add the cherries, but I'm pleased with how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...