Monday, March 7, 2011

Brownie Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and How You Know You Watch Too Much Grey's Anatomy

browniecake

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a serious TV junkie. I generally don't feel complete, on a week to week basis, unless I've caught up on all my shows. Don't I sound like some old lady, whining about the fact that she's missing her soaps?

Well, I'm not old, I'm definitely not a lady, and I haven't watched a soap since Passions went off the air.

As a kid, I always saw excessive TV watching to be nothing but positive. By the time I was ten I could recite entire episodes of The Simpsons. Now-a-days, I drive my family up the wall, reciting every written line from Friends. 

The problem is, that I can relate pretty much everything in my life to an episode of Friends.

It generally goes like this:

Someone: "That guy is so weird."

Me: "You wanna know weird? Remember that episode of Friends when Phoebe was like 'I just pulled out three eye lashes. That can't be good.'"

Lately, I've been overly obsessed with Grey's Anatomy and I've realized that, as a symptom of watching it too much, I've developed this weird idea by which I seem to think it's realistic that I could make it through medical school and a be an awesome surgeon just because I've watched the show so much. In the past, stuff like this has happened with other TV shows. 

I use to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer a lot and truly believed that I could one day fight vampires with my superhuman abilities.

As a way to help other people who watch Grey's Anatomy, I've devised a list of five ways to tell that you're may be watching more than clinically acceptable. Hm, maybe attaching the word clinically to something should be number 1?

1. When you wash your hands, you take about five minutes, scrubbing every little crevice, even getting under your fingernails because you know your hands must be free of bacteria. You turn around, holding your hands up, half expecting someone to be standing there with a surgical mask, ready to dry your hands.

2. When people say they're feeling sick, you ask them to name a few of their symptoms and then relate it back to an episode of Grey's Anatomy. "Your nose is running a lot? Well, there was this episode where this guy had what he thought was a cold for a good month, but it turned out he was leaking spinal fluid. You should get that checked out, maybe ask for a head CT."

3. You start to think that just because you now know what a salpingectomy is, that you should be able to go to medical school no problem, finish it in a few months, and be doing solo surgeries within a few days of work.

4. You start to think that all doctors are going to look like Katherine Heigl and Patrick Dempsey, but you're sadly mistaken when you go to visit your family physician and he reminds you of Golem from The Lord of the Rings. 

5. You become a bit of a hypochondriac because every time you feel a twinge in your stomach, you think that you have an ectopic pregnancy. Thankfully, in my case, I'm reminded that just having a pregnancy as a male would be a medical marvel. Maybe I'd get to go on Oprah?

And yes, I've based these five things off of personal experience. Sad, I know. But, I'm kind of sad when it comes to my obsession with shows I like.

On a completely unrelated note, because I just can't find a way to tie it to the discussion above, I present to you a Brownie Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting! I felt like adapting an age-old recipe and making it in to something new. I love brownies, I love cake. Why not make brownies in to a cake?

browniecake2

Brownie Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
 
Brownie Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
approx. 1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. 
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in cocoa. Blend in sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
3. Blend in dry ingredients. Pour batter into two 9x9-inch pans. Bake in preheated 350'F oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
4. For frosting, begin by beating the butter on medium speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
5. Reduce the speed and add the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl as needed. Once all additions have been added, beat for a few minutes until pale and fluffy.
6. Add vanilla, and beat until frosting is smooth.
7. Melt white chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl. Once melted, let cool for a few minutes. Add chocolate to the frosting and, using a spatula, slowly fold in, being sure to incorporate all the chocolate with the frosting.
8. Wait until the brownies are completely cooled. Ice a generous amount of frosting on the top of one brownie layer and top that with the second brownie square. Generously ice the top layer.
Optional:  Cover the top layer with shaved dark chocolate.

Enjoy!
Until next time, happy baking!
-Jordan



Share/Bookmark

22 comments:

  1. That part about ectopic pregnancy really made me chuckle .. out loud! You are such a goof Jordan :-). I totally hear you on the Grey's Anatomy addiction though.

    Tv junkie or not though, you are an awesome baker. That cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, these photos are dazzling! Lovely composition and styling! And I already know I watch too much Grey's Anatomy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Julie - You should! It's amazing!

    @Sneh - Thank you! That means a lot! :)

    @Lindsey - Thank you! I'm glad you like them! I think that there's something wrong with any person who DOESN'T watch too much Grey's Anatomy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally addicted to Mad Men but thankfully I don't get drunk, smoke like a freight train and sleep with everyone! What a delicious and indulgent idea to make a brownie into a cake. That means we get a bigger slice, right? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man how great was passions! I used to watch it when I got home from high school every afternoon. I could go a few eps accompanied with your brownie cake and a big ol' glass of milk :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me laugh out loud. And those photos are scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake looks AMAZING, I love everything about it, brownies, cake and white chocolate, what's not to like?? Definately making this. I can also relate hugely to the excessive tv watching to the point of wanting to become a character.... and I beleive it started with buffy the vampire slayer, after each show I would leap around my living room pretending to karate chop vampires...in my defense I was only 12, but I still do similar things to this day!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful styling!

    I've never been much of a TV person, myself. I'm terrible with quotes and always embarrass myself when I try to share one. Sometimes I wish that wasn't the case! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha I can so relate. I'm totally obsessed with Grey's too. I began to think medical school would be a breeze, and it's an awesome place to meet guys [McDreamy, McSteamy, McVet]

    P.S - The brownie cake looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious. It's actually kind of funny that I ran across this because I have been looking for a cake to make for my "cake-hater" of a boyfriend.! :) He LOVES brownies, but he can't stand cake. This is definitely the winner! Thanks for posting!
    Meggs♥

    urbakinmecrazyy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing!!!!! I love brownies. We must be on the same wave length, because i've been making a lot of them! :) And your frosting looks so thick and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks out of this world, insane, Jordan! Yum!!
    And I'm with you on the Grey's thing. I just read that one of their upcoming episodes is going to be a musical...should be an interesting one, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing, i have not had chocolate cake in along time.
    I have never watched Grey's Anatomy, never liked Buffy or Friends, but i am equally obsessed with NCIS...the week is not complete without my dose!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum, that looks like one super delicious indulgence. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your brownie cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is nice, especially it's header. Very cool blog. Thanks. Keep posting such stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WoW!. . I'm so tempted with this one. .looks so so delicious=)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so appetizing.great looking dish there, I need to ideal making hummus. & your frosting looks so thick & appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a wonderful helpful blog.I just start out with my blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a good looking & delicious cake this is! great looking dish there. Thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks yummy....I have never seen before this yummy and delicious cake.good and descriptive Ingredients of Brownie Cake.thanks for sharing.
    wedding cakes

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...