Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rainbow Cake Batter Pancakes and What I'd Bring to a Deserted Island

pancakes

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to be trapped on a deserted island? Completely alone, completely isolated from everyone. Could you even imagine? It'd be like Lost, only without Evangeline Lilly and hopefully with a few more cupcakes.

I was thinking about it today and that game that people sometimes play, where they have to name their top five things that they would want if they were trapped on a deserted island and I've decided to share mine with you.

1) Cookie Dough - I'm  thinking that it'd be a great way to kill the time while I lounge in my hammock that I will have fashioned from various plants. Plus, when it gets really hot out, I can either start a fire and bake some cookies or let them bake on a rock under the hot sun.

2) All 10 Seasons of Friends - Granted, I wouldn't have a TV, but I could talk to the little faces on the back, kind of like Tom Hanks talked to that volleyball in Cast Away.

3) My Cashmere Sweaters - I'm assuming that some nights on the island would get rather chilly, so I'd obviously need to be prepared. Also, with no one else on the island, I'd probably be the Best Dressed.

4) My iPhone - Essentially, what I'm thinking is that I can either a) Call for help or b) Assuming the island is really nice and I don't feel like sharing, I can just play Angry Birds in my hammock all day long.

5) Britney Spears - Someone has to keep me entertained right? I'm thinking that she could perform on a whim for me or have breakdowns whenever I ask. Plus, she wouldn't need to worry about paparazzi so she'd probably be more than happy to be stranded with me, right?

Can you believe I was never a Boy Scout? I know.

Thanks to How Sweet It Is, I found this recipe, which I think is probably the most amazing thing I've ever heard of. It's pancakes, made from cake batter! Genius!

Making a few changes, I decided to make my stack with a rainbow birthday cake theme, sort of like one of the concoctions that Whisk Kid is famous for, though mine isn't quite as visually appealing!

pancakes4

Cake Batter Pancakes via How Sweet It Is
Yields: approx. 12 pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cake mix (I used white cake mix)
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-cups of milk
sprinkles

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cake mix, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Add 1 cup of the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract and stir the mixture until it's relatively lump free. Essentially, you want it to be the consistency of regular pancake batter. Start with 1 cup of milk, then add more if need be.
3. Preheat a pan to medium heat.
4. I separated the batter into bowls, each filled with approx. 1/4 cup of mix and coloured each part a different colour of the rainbow.
5. Pour mixes in to the pan, making sure not to let the different colours touch. Cook each pancake until bubbles begin to form on the top, which takes about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 1 minute, or until done.
6. How Sweet It Is served the pancakes with a vanilla glaze, the recipe for which can be found at the end of this post. However, I made a simple vanilla buttercream and generously piped frosting on to each layer, staking them one after the other and finally coating the top layer with frosting. As well, you can also fold in sprinkles of your choosing to the frosting.
7. Enjoy!

pancakes2


Until next time, think about what you might want on a deserted island, and happy baking!

-Jordan

P.S. It wasn't actually anybody's birthday, but if you feel the urge to send me presents, it's probably best to go with your instincts!

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. So much fun and your list cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so fun I wish I had these for breakfast on my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never occurred to me that cookie dough would be the perfect thing to take with me to a deserted island. GENIUS!
    This cake is beautiful for spring- great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blog! Your photography is just gorgeous. And these pancakes make me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its an awesome! It is nice colour combination of grocery and pancake. I had make some how similar cake at my birthday last year. Now this time some new experience.

    Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...