Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Frozen Hot Chocolate

frozenhotchocolate

If you've ever been to Second Cup (and yes, I am judging you if you've never been), you may or may not have come across or even tried their Frozen Hot Chocolate. Made from the perfect combination of chocolate, cream, and, oh yes, ice, this drink never fails to make me question why I'm not worthy of a simple existence in comparison.

Every time I'm within a mile of a Second Cup, I have to sniff it out and buy this drink. It's creamy, chocolatey, and did I mention frozen? So, you can only imagine by extreme disbelief when I found a recipe for the drink on Dine & Dish. There was a lot of jaw-dropping and falling off of chairs to be had. Needless to say I knew then and there that I would make this drink and no longer would I spend $4.50 to devour something that takes me, oh, about 45 seconds to finish. Tops.

Promise me one thing. Promise me that you will try this drink, you'll soak up all it's heavenly goodness, and then you'll proceed to join me in shouting hallelujah! Meet back here in ten minutes. Aaaaaaand, break!

frozenhotchocolate2

Frozen Hot Chocolate

Yield | 3 or 4 drinks

Rating | 4/5 - Extremely easy and worth every second of time.

Ingredients:
3 ounces white chocolate (however, I used semi-sweet chocolate)
2 tbsp. half and half cream (I used whipping cream and it still worked)
1 package of store bought hot chocolate
1 tbsp. white sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups of ice
whipped cream (optional)
chocolate shavings (optional)

Directions:
1. In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate for 1 minute, stopping after 30 seconds to stir. Continue to heat the chocolate until completely melted and smooth. 
2. Add in the hot chocolate package and the sugar and stir until completely combined. Remove the mixture from the heat and slowly add only 1/2 cup of milk. Stir until smooth. Let the mixture cool to room temperature which shouldn't take too long once the milk has been added.
3. Add the chocolate mixture, the ice, and the rest of the milk to a blender and blend on high until smooth until, in Dine & Dish's words, at the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. 
4. Pour the mixture into a cup and top it with whipped cream of shaved chocolate. Or, if you're like me, sprinkle some chocolate chips on top and then eat it with a spoon.

Note:
- I don't really like my drinks with too much ice, so I left out a bit from what the recipe called for, which is why the drink in my photos looks more liquidy than was originally intended.

I hope you enjoy and please let me know if you give it a whirl!

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

17 comments:

  1. Looks great! I have never been to Second Cup, it is not something that is around here, but this looks nice enough to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good! I've had it many times at Second Cup before but I've never thought about making it at home myself. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I always hear about this drink, but I've never tried it. Sounds great!

    P.S. I like the white background. These photos are so soft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @egbkid - It really is great. I hope you give it a try :)
    @amysfoodadventures - Dare I say that it tastes almost identical?
    @Kaitlin - I'm glad you like the photos. Thank you! Definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Second Cup; I doubt it is anywhere near where I live, so I guess you can judge me haha. Nevertheless, I'm bookmarking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love Chocolate. Thanks For Sharing Chocolate Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work in a Second Cup, and was curious about your recipe. It tastes almost identical to our stuff!! Thannk you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jordan, your photos are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how much is a package of hot chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Memoria - Let me know if you try it!
    @Anonymous - You're very welcome!
    @Tessa - Thank you! It mean so much :)
    @Anonymous - The package I used was 35 grams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will be the first chocolate thing I'm going to consume once Lent is over! I gave up chocolate & I've been okay until these photos! My mouth is literally watering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh God, my mouth is watering so bad. So much for going healthy this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious!! Definitely trying that out soon!

    How many tsp/tbsp in a package of hot chocolate? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been dreaming about frozen hot chocolate!
    I recently made homemade marshmallows and have been wanting to make frozen hot chocolate!

    I'll definitely be making this today :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to Second Cup but I have been to Serendipity in NYC, the origin of the actual authentic frozen hot chocolate. I have their cookbook and the original recipe calls for 10 types of chocolate, or something like that. All companies that no one can get their hands on, without some trouble. It is a wonderful drink. It comes to you in this huge glass. Lots of toppings. It is sooo chocolate-y and delicious. This sounds good too. I will try it. When the urge hits for something like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this recipe so much! feeds my second cup addiction without the loss of $6 with every serving

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am also Addicted to Second Cups frozen hot chocolate, but they closed down the location close to me and opened farther :( I am soo happy you are sharing this recipe and will give it a shot as I am always in need of it. (its the only thing that relieves my headaches!!) and saving money is great!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...