Monday, April 25, 2011

Rabbit in the Hole

rabbitinthehole

When you try to lead a relatively healthy lifestyle, and by healthy I mean one plate of brownies, instead of two, it can be hard to figure out what you're going to eat. One of the most difficult parts of leading a healthy diet is not going for the easy foods with processed junk and too much sugar. While those obviously taste amazing and make you want to sing, it's just as easy to make healthy alternatives that you can prepare yourself.

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I want to eat is a) potato salad or b) leftover cake. I've always heard that protein is a great way to really fuel your body and fill you up so you're less tempted to snack throughout the day. And one of my favourite ways to load up with the protein is with an egg. While I'm usually a scrambled kinda guy, I've recently gained a certain affinity for easy over. I love cracking the yolk and dipping my toast. So, when I found this recipe that incorporated toast and an egg in a new and fun way, I knew I had to give it a try as soon as possible!

rabbitinthehole1 

Rabbit in the Hole

Yield | 1 serving

Ingredients:
1 large egg
1 slice of whole wheat bread
approx. 2 tsp. of butter

Directions:
1. Place a frying pan on a burner at medium heat, adding about 1 tsp. of butter and letting it melt, spreading it around the pan.
2. Using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut a whole out of the center of the bread. Place the bread in the pan.
3. Place another small amount of butter in the center of the hole. Once the butter has melted, crack the egg in the hole of the bread, letting it cook for 30 seconds to a minute.
4. Flip the toast over carefully, making sure not to break the yolk. Cook on the other side for another minute or so. Make sure the bread has toasted on both sides and that the egg is cooked thoroughly.
5. Serve when hot with your favourite side of fruit and morning beverage.

Note:
- Froot Loops are not a side of fruit.
- Tequila is not a morning beverage.

I know it's no plate of cookies or triple layer cake with kit kat bars, but it's very tasty, and hey, we could all use a little extra health in our lives, right?

Until next time,  happy cooking!

-Jordan

P.S. Want to win a copy of Julie & Julia on DVD or a copy of Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell? Well, head over here and check out all the details!

Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

  1. We used to have this for breakfast all the time when I was a kid. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I like how the recipe says "Yields 1 serving". More like 1/2 a serving to me :) I like how simple & tasty this looks! Hooray to a wonderful breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, I just found your blog through foodgawker... you're so witty! I've chuckled at a bunch of your posts. I'm going to try this recipe tomorrow, since I've perfected my Egg and Cheese Bagel Sandwich, now I ought to give something else a go! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo, looks delicious. I like your notes about fruit loops and tequila:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egg in the hole is unimaginative and Toad in the hole is just plain weird. I've never heard of this dish being called Rabbit in the hole, but I'm going to start calling it that from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cooking eggs is always an emotional experience for me, what are there 5 million ways to make an egg? I barely pull off the ol' scrambled. But, this, this, I might have to try.

    Also, fruit loops are a fruit, and tequila is always appropriate.

    P.P.S. I'm still waiting for an email reply :) we suck at penpals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to make these, we always called them egg in a basket growing up.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...