Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Individual Chocolate Strawberry Cakes and 5 Things My Mother Has Taught Me

strawberrycakes

I know I'm a little late on the whole Mother's Day celebration and this is normally where'd I'd blame someone else, i.e. the public school system, society, my mom (I'll cut her some slack because it is/was her day), but my mom has always taught me to never blame someone else for your own actions.

In honour of this belated Mother's Day, I've decided that I am going to share with the world the wonder that is my mother and five of the most memorable things that she's taught me.

1. Never eat raw cookie dough. It has raw eggs which could make you really sick. Granted, I eat it anyways, but I definitely know that she's coming from a good place.

2. Always do the dishes. Recently, I've even learned that if you do them as you're baking, it makes it much more easy and much more efficient.

3. No elbows on the table. Apparently it's bad manners. I like to think that I'm just doing what biology has told me I'm meant to do, which apparently means sitting at the table like a cave person while I use my almost extinct wisdom teeth to tear at my juicy tri-tip.

4. Always be professional, even in those rare circumstances when you want to punch your boss  for yelling at you for not telling him that someone is on the phone for him in the proper way. Yes, untraceable rumours are still unprofessional.

5. Pay it forward. Doing something nice for someone else will undoubtedly bring about great things when the person you've helped is one day able to help another person. i.e. Make someone a cake and one day they might make one for someone else.

I could go on forever because my mom has taught me so much about myself and about others and there's really no way that I could ever repay her for the sacrifices she's made for me and all the things she's helped me achieve.

My mom is Kitchen Karate's self-professed #1 fan and she's always encouraging and helpful whenever I need her.

Happy Mother's Day mom! I love you!

strawberrycakes3

These mini cakes are delicious and absolutely perfect for this time of the year. The recipe consists of chocolate cake cut in to circles, with strawberries and a buttercream frosting. Not only are they absolutely scrumptious, but aren't they the cutest things ever?

strawberrycakes1
Individual Chocolate Strawberry Cakes

Yield | 6 servings

Chocolate Cake via Whisk Kid

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup flour
3/8 cup (33 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
4/6 cup sour cream, room temperature
4/6 cup hot coffee (I didn't add the coffee and the cake still tasted great)

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350'F and coat a 13x9-inch rectangular cake pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. This should take about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until each egg is well incorporated. Add the vanilla. 
4. Pour a third of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Proceed by adding half of the sour cream and mix until combined. Repeat the process, alternating between the flour mixture and the sour cream, making sure to end with the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat until all is combined. Stir in the hot coffee if you choose to use it.
5. Add mixture to the cake pan and bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Buttercream Frosting via Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
4 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
1. While the cake is cooling, beat the butter in a large bowl on medium speed until light and creamy.
2. Add the icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat until well incorporated.
3. Add the vanilla extract and beat well.

Assembling the Cakes
 
Extras:
approx. 24 fresh strawberries
mint leaves for garnish

Directions:
1. When the cake is cooled cut out circles approx. 3 or 4 inches in diameter with a round cookie cutter. Remove cut out portion from the pan and, using a seraded knife, slice the piece in half horizontally to make two halves. 
2. Pipe a generous amount of frosting on to the top of the bottom piece and proceed to place slices of strawberry on top, pressing down to make sure the strawberry pieces don't slide.
3. Place the top half of the cake on top and pipe another generous helping of frosting. Add a full strawberry (without the stem) and a mint leaf to garnish.
4. Enjoy!

strawberrycakes4

I really hope you enjoy these! Please, let me know if you try them!

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

23 comments:

  1. Nice sentiments about your mom (me)! Thanks. And for all you foodies out there - these little cakes are scrumptious! I have the best son....who bakes for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look amazing! We do have the best mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet post. Your mommy sounds really smart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! My mom is my biggest fan too, lucky you have yours so close!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just stumbled upon your blog and you just became my favorite person ever. baking while watching glee online? yes please. and these cakes look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love strawberry shortcakes to begin with. But a chocolate version may just become my new big love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, these might just be too pretty for me to eat.

    Nah. I'm sure I'd overcome the looks and dig right in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved these little cakes - they were heavenly. Keep them coming! From your biggest fan -- your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photography is amazing! Can't wait to try this recipe - strawberries will be in season soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are SO cute!!! I love this! Bookmarked to try soon!

    New to your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolate Strawberry Cakes name is enough for Children. The Recipe you Given is useful to make it. I like to Try it… Thanks for it..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have a very awesome mom. What a great gift to not blame your tardiness on her for her special day. As always, your baking and photos look spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hiyaaahh! Those cakes already make me alive and kicking! WOW! Maybe that's the reason why you called your blog "kitchen karate". =) Your recipes are just luscious. Want to try those, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. adorable cakes :) i'm currently looking for some ideas for chocolate&strawberry cake recipe for my brother's birthday and this looks like a perfect solution :) just one note, isn't it easier to say 2/3 of a cup instead of 4/6? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WoW! that was great. i was drooling just by looking at those pictures..=)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips and beautiful pics. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karate is a form of self-discipline training not to mention physical training, it is a perfect answer to helping your toddler become self motivated and disciplined thus, inspiring them to perform high in whatever they do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for this great recipe! You may want to check on the buttercream recipe... I made it according to your directions and it was VERY dry. I ended up adding about 2-3 tablespoons of milk and used half the amount of icing sugar. The cake turned out to be very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely berry dish. Berries and currants are this week's subject for Food on Friday. Would you be happy to link this in? We are looking to create a fantastic collection of berry dishes. This is the link .

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have just found your blog and I'm already totally crazy about your recipes and photos!!
    I'll try your cakes as soon as possible ;))) They are soooooo cute!!
    Erika (from Italy)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This cake is amazing! So amazing that I am determined to make a non-chocolate version for my son’s first birthday smash cake.Calcium hydroxide paste

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...