Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Penne with Five Cheeses

pasta 

It's no secret that when it comes to being in the kitchen I'm much less likely to whip up a casserole than cupcakes. Generally speaking I find baking much more soothing and much easier. Cooking, to me, can be stressful, time consuming, and it doesn't make much room for my disorganization. I'm horrible at multi-tasking and when I'm trying to cook a meal, it really starts to show. Because god-forbid I should be able to tear some greens while I have to stir a pot of soup. 

However, I've recently come across Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family by Ina Garten. I hadn't realized it before, but her recipes are very functional and not as intimidating as some of the other cooking recipes I've faced in my days. And by my days I mean the last year or so. I have a tendency to be a bit over-dramatic.

Ina's recipe for Penne with Five Cheeses was the first thing that caught my eye and I instantly knew that I had to make it. The recipe had a huge list of delicious ingredients with only a few simple steps, which for a simple folk like me, was absolutely perfect.

Not to mention the amazing picture of it was pretty compelling as well.

Penne with Five Cheeses via Barefoot Contessa  

Serves | 6

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup crushed tomatoes in thick tomato paste
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
1/2 cup shredded imported Italian fontina
1/4 cup crumbled Italian Gorgonzola
2 tbsp. ricotta cheese
1/4 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
1 pound imported penne rigate pasta
4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 500'F.
2. In a large stockpot, bring 5 quarts of salted water to a boil.
3. Except the penne and butter, combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix it well.
4. Parboil the penne in the boiling water for approximately 4 minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander and add it to the bowl of mixed ingredients and toss it to combine.
5. Divide the pasta dish evenly in to 6 shallow ceramic gratin dishes (1 1/2 to 2 cup capacity). Top with a bit of butter. Bake for 7-10 minutes until bubbly and the top is brown.

Enjoy!

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. YUM! This looks delicious! I'm a sucker for cream, cheese, and pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn that thing does look yum, and it reminded me of how much I miss fontina cheese. Also Jordan, you need to give my cooking recipes a try ;P I really do my best to keep the recipes hassle free and easy to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowzers, this looks awesome!
    i'm hungry now.

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...