Thursday, October 20, 2011

Imagination - Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream

I turned facing my enemy, my wand hanging down by my side. I rubbed the handle with the tips of my fingers waiting for something to happen. Was I going to be the one to make the first move or would I be dodging his fiery attack?

I waited another moment before lifting my wand, shouting some incoherent spell, and watching as the streak of bright blue light flew from the tip of my wand, soaring across the dense field of grass. Without any hesitation, the man on the receiving end knocked the spell away with his own wand and quickly fired a spell back at me. Before I knew what was happening I was on my back, laying on the grass like nobodies business.

I was fervent when I shot back up to my feet. I held my wand back, ready to attack. I could feel the magic in my fingertips just whirling away, ready when I needed it. I thrust my arm forward, sending a jet of light, this time red, from my wand. I watched as the light flew across the field, closer and closer, until....
"Jordan, put down that stick and get in the car. People are watching."

IMG_6565

The story of my life. As a kid, my imagination was wild and unrelenting. It didn't matter where we were or where my parents took me. I was hungry for adventure and magic and, being a kid with no actual magical powers (that I know of), I had to make my own. Sticks easily became magic wands. Brooms in the garage that were meant for nothing more than sweeping dust soon became wondrous contraptions that I could fly on.

My imagination took me to places that I could never see otherwise. It's what's helped me be the "adult" that I am today. Without it, who knows if I'd be able to create the way I do now, or find such a passion in baking, writing, photographing, or running a business all about cute things, cupcake stuff, and party ware?

I probably wouldn't be. As a seasoned child, I can tell you the importance of imagination on a kid, especially growing up. Who cares if they want to grab a stick from the front yard and pretend it's a wand? Does it matter if they want to take a bucket, fill it with water, and mix in leaves, grass, and rocks in an attempt to make a potion and sell it to the neighbourhood kids? Probably not.

IMG_6576

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream via Martha Stewart
 
Yield | 22 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3 large egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375'F  and line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, until pale and fluffy. Mix in the peanut butter and then add eggs one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in the vanilla and gradually the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Mix in the sour cream.
4. Divide the batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake the cupcakes, rotating halfway through. Bake for 22 minutes, until cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the tins on a wire rack. 

Honey Buttercream adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups icing sugar
Approx. 2 tbsp. honey or to taste

Directions:
1. Cream butter until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until well combined. Add the honey and mix until combined.
2. Once the buttercream has piped on top, add a few more drops of honey on top and then let it harden a bit.

TIP: Depending on how much honey you add, you may need to add a bit more icing sugar to get the right consistency. 

Until next time, happy baking!

-Jordan

P.S. Pink Paper Straws and Plastic Milk Bottles from I'm With Cupcake!


Share/Bookmark

12 comments:

  1. Looks great, Jordan! You did a fantastic job with the styling, too! So good to see you blogging.......
    Hope life is sweet as cupcakes :)
    -your retired mentee, Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post...definitely you are sharing some usefull aspects..its gud

    As seen on TV products is As Seen On TV products and we’re confident you will find what you’re looking for.
    Seen On TV Spot includes Billy Mays products which are some of the hottest
    As Seen On TV products available. Seen on TV Spot guarantees
    safe and secure ordering options to
    ensure our customers have an optimal shopping experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes bring back memories of a favorite childhood sandwich: PB and honey! I can definitely relate to your "magic potion," only mine was "rock soup," made of river water, rocks from the beach, and sand for flavor on family trips to the nearby river. No wonder I love to make soup even to this day haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!

    Your blog is so pretty. I love the white background it's so simple but so nice. It looks nice with your vivid pictures.

    Good job! :)

    These cupcakes look great btw as well :D

    Also, it's always nice to see another Canadian blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an elegant and tasty cupcake. Easy to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM. And gorgeous pictures! I'll need to get some tips if you'll share some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. could these be made with crunchy peanut butter?

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...