Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie + Brownie Bars & Why Adulthood Sorta Bites

cookiebars

I'm here to tell you that being a grown-up kinda sucks. I mean, it can be great at time. Driving, buying stuff, etc. But, once you realize that the things you enjoyed as a kid are no longer that great, it all changes. So, in the spirit of growing older, I've compiled a list of the Top 5 Things That You Once Loved As A Child But Were Ruined By Adulthood.

1) Snow/ Winter - As a kid, winter is the best. Snow days, snow ball fights, building forts. It's a winter wonderland of fun and excitement. When you're an adult, it's all about cold weather, scraping your car off in the morning, and making sure kids avoid the yellow snow.

2) TV Shows - Shows that once amazed you are now starting to look extremely dull and under-produced. Take Power Rangers for example. As a kid, I use to think it was the best, most kick ass thing ever made. Watching it as an adult with my nephew; not so much. It's so hard to not point out all the flaws in effects and the corny dialogue. Not to mention the self-imposed stigma and shame that comes with being a 21 year old who secretly watches Power Rangers.... with his nephew, of course.

3) Christmas - Christmas never really can lose its magic, but it can lose some of the wonder and awe. As a kid, you're fascination with Christmas can come from knowing that, while you sleep, a jolly, magical man and his eight flying reindeer are landing on your roof, sliding down your chimney, and leaving you the best friggin' presents ever and all you have to do is leave him a plate of Mr. Christie's. Sweet, huh? As a grown up, Christmas means spending money, realizing the truth about Santa, and shopping with crazy bitches.

4) School - When you're a kid, school can literally be the best thing ever. You go to a place for the day, hang with your friends, colour some stuff, maybe practice your printing, try and learn how to add and subtract, and then go home and do more of the same thing. When you're a young adult, school means 15 page essays on Thomas Hobbes, late night cram sessions, and teachers who are against you having any sort of imagination/ fun.

5) Candy - It's a total thrill to get a huge, giant bag of candy and know that it's all yours. You and you alone will consume it all and then survive for a week on sugar. But, then you grow up and even though it still makes you happy, it's no longer looked at as something of the Gods. "How many calories? That many grams of sugar? Maybe just one..."

In the spirit of pulling a Peter Pan and staying young forever, I present you with Chocolate Chip Cookie + Brownie Bars; simply the best thing you will ever eat.

cookiebars1

Chocolate Chip Cookie + Brownie Bars
Ingredients:
For Brownies: (recipe adapted from Fry's Premium Cocoa)
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter
1 cup cocoa
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

For Chocolate Chip Cookies: (recipe adapted from Mrs. Fields Best Ever Cookie Book)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1/4 unsalted butter
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350'F.

For Brownies:
1) Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
2) Melt the butter in a large saucepan and then remove it from the heat. Stir in the cocoa.
3) Mix in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
4) Blend in dry ingredients.
5) Pour the batter into a well greased 13x9-inch rectangular baking pan.
6) Don't put it in the oven just yet! Set the pan aside.

For Chocolate Chip Cookies:
1) Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2) With an electric mixer, blend the sugars at medium speed and then add the butter to form a grainy paste. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3) Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until just incorporated. Make sure not to overmix.
4) Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips, and blend it all on low speed until just mixed. Again, make sure not to overmix.

Assembly:
1) Drop the cookie dough by generous teaspoons into the prepared pan with the brownie batter, spaced at least an inch apart. You should have enough to make about 12 bars.
2) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the brownie and cookie comes out clean.

Happy baking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

15 comments:

  1. So glad you are posting again! That made me laugh outloud! From personally tasting the brownies I can say that they are amazing; moist, fluffy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up sucks. But these cookie-brownies look fab. I think I need to make some and watch some power rangers and maybe even scrounge up a few fruit roll ups. Thank you for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Power Rangers and fruit roll ups sound like the perfect pair!

      Delete
  3. I had fun reading this :D lol The bars are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! These look soooo delicious. I love decadent desserts, and I think these definitely fit that category!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious! I hope you give them a try :)

      Delete
  5. It's nice to see you blogging again. These are a treat I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helene! It's great to be back to blogging. Let me know if you try them!

      Delete
  6. Hey Jordan! These look rediculously good, I am going to have to try them out! I have been using your blog for a while now for great recipes and I just decided to start my own. I just want to say thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amanda. I'm so happy that you were able to find some inspiration here and I can't wait to check out your blog and see all the great things you're going to come up with! :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't tried baking but this time your recipe will be on my baking plans. Thanks dear. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I love the transition from "no more candy" to the recipe :P

    Adulthood just... Yeah. I agree with you on all fronts. A friend of mine saw my secret Disney tunes station on Pandora a few days back and I was soooo embarrassed even though he didn't say anything. I know he saw it :P

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...