Friday, January 27, 2012

Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cake + 5 TV Shows That Rock... And Why!

IMG_6988

Since starting this blog, I've come to notice that I have quite a knack for making lists, which is ironic because making lists suggests some sort of organizational skill and we all know I'm nothing like that. Lists that I'm talking about aren't the ones you'd find taped to the fridge or in your hand while you stroll around the grocery store. My lists are much more important. They're lists about, well, nothing really. Whatever I can think about. A few that I've done so far are 5-Steps for Shoppers, How You Know You Watch Too Much Grey's Anatomy, Traveling "Tips", 5 Ways to Not Feel Guilty About Eating While You Bake, What I'd Bring to a Deserted Island, Things About Halloween That I Just Can't Stand, Why Adulthood Sorta Bites.

In the spirit of keeping this grand, albeit somewhat pointless, tradition alive, I turned to a good friend of mine, Lindsey from Hot Polka Dot for inspiration. If I'm going to be making lists, then I might as well take ideas from other people. Right? She suggested - drum roll please...

...


TV Shows That Rock

Now, she didn't specify how many, but in the interest of keeping your attention, I'll widdle it down to 5. Good?

I present to you, 5 TV Shows That Rock... And Why! (in no particular order)


1. Friends - Well, OK. This one is number 1, because it is number 1. But Friends is amazing for a few reasons, but don't worry, I won't be creating a list within a list. First of all, it takes place in New York City, which of course, sets me up to love it because anyone who knows me knows that its my life's purpose to live in the Big Apple and eat breakfast at Tiffany's and then ship at F.A.O. Schwartz all day long. It's also about 6 friends, which is what I live vicariously through, because I don't think I have that many friends. Sorry, Mom, you don't count. Finally, smelly cat anyone? Anyone?

2. Charmed - I've loved the idea of magic and witches since I was a little, little kid. I still pretend that I can move things with my mind and, every once and a while, while holding a spoon, I maybe try and bend it with my mind. Doesn't work, but at least now you can't say that I don't have goals. It also starts three amazingly kick-ass women which, as a young man who grew up with two older sisters, a mother who took no prisoners, and a babysitter who my parents dubbed a "Saint", I hold a certain affinity for strong women. And I mean, what's stronger than a women who can blow demons up with a flash of her hands? That's right. Nothing.

3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Comical, dark, dangerous, action-packing, and with Sarah Michelle Gellar to boot! She can slay "vamps" at midnight and still find the energy to sit through biology. Now, if that isn't an All-American Girl, then I don't know what is!

4. Golden Girls - With all the shows now-a-days that glorify appearances over everything else, it's mildly refreshing to see a show that doesn't revolve its success around having young, hot actors who walk around in bikinis all day and drink martinis in hotels at the age of sixteen. Maybe it was made during a time before this is what TV was primarily based around, but as a new fan of Golden Girls, I laugh my ass off daily. It's refreshing to watch a show that can attribute its success to being sensible, smart, and witty!

5. The Big Bang Theory - I hated science in high school. I mean, really hated it. "Mitosis is... Mitosis is..." Thankfully, I've never actually had to figure out the speed of a car by factoring in the distance it will travel and the time its going to take to get there. But, suddenly, this show comes along and renews my faith in the sciences (including math). Maybe there is more to science than cells and big equations. It can also be about video games, whacky roommates, and Kaley Cuoco (who also stared in the 8th season of Charmed) living across the hall. Funny, smart, and possibly my new Friends.

What do you think? What are TV Shows do you think rock?

Ellen should do a segment on this.

strawberrycake 

If for no other reason than this cake is pure bliss on a cake stand.... I present to you the Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Chocolate Cake! It's a mouthful, but that won't matter so much when you're devouring his piece of sweet decadence.

Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Chocolate Cake
Visit Sweetapolita for the cake recipe! You should be able to get 3 nine-inch round cakes from the recipe as it is.

Buttercream:
Ingredients:
3 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
8 cups icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Red food colouring

Directions:
1. Beat the butter in a large bowl until pale and and smooth. Slowly incorporate the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and blend until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat until incorporated.
2. Mix in the red food colouring until you get your desired shade.
3. Once the cakes are cooled, frost as shown above, or however you want! Be creative!

Chocolate Dipped Strawberries:
Ingredients:
Approx. 24 fresh strawberries
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream

Directions:
1.Add the chocolate to a large heatproof bowl.
2. Bring the heavy cream to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiled, at 1/4 of the cream to the chocolate and gently stir with a spatula until the chocolate beings to melt. Continue adding the cream, in three separate batches, stirring after each addition. You'll know you're done when the mixture is smooth.
3. Once cooled, but not hardened, slice the tops off the strawberries and dip the bottom end in the chocolate. Place the strawberries around frosted cake as you want. I had a bit of extra ganache left, so, being the chocolate lover that I am, I poured the rest to fill in the cracks between the strawberries. It's just good construction!

Happy baking!

-Jordan

Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious. Would love for you to share your gorgeous pictures with us at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try this out one day in my own kitchen...Can't wait to lay out the strawberries and come up with something adorable and pretty. Thanks for sharing. Of course, FRIENDS is the ultimate TV show of all time! And I mean forever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I just started watching Friends recently! It's soooooo good. I'm up to season 3, I think. The only other show on the list that I've seen is The Big Bang Theory and I love it :D

    I'm not big on TV, but I do like Parks and Rec a lot. The Office is pretty good, but not so much lately, which is sad.

    Cake looks NOMS! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kaitlin! Season 3 is so awesome, but so so are all the other seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color combination and how you designed the cake. A mouth-watering recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easy and Simple recipe! What can I ask for but a plate of that scrumptious delight! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! Have a happy evening!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...