Friday, February 24, 2012

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting + My Issues With The Internet

IMG_7147 

Hold on, let me finish this cupcake.

Ah-mazing.

I see you followed through on your side of the deal. Thanks for being here. That $20 isn't tax deductible, by the way.

Earlier today I was sitting at my computer (as per the usual, right?) and it hit me that, as an avid internet user, the internet makes me too angry. I mean, why should something that brings you this much joy and unconditional love, make you this frustrated?

I hope that's not what marriage is like.

As soon as I realized that I was mercilessly hitting the enter key, as if that would make my page load faster, I suddenly realized all the other things that irritate me about the internet.

1. For starters, it isn't consistent enough. It's like making bread. Sometimes it's just right and other times you want to throw it at your mailman in pure anger. Usually in the evening I find myself sitting here, obsessively casually browsing Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, Perez Hilton, People Magazine, my own blog, other food blogs, conferences I'll never, ever attend, New York City travel guides, among other things, and I'll be totally in a groove. A click there, a scroll here, and BAM - the internet decides it doesn't want to serve you anymore. "Sorry b**ch. Come back later. Mama needs a nap."

2. The way you can usually find what you're looking for, but then 1% of the time you can't. You spend hours looking for this one recipe you saw three days ago that would be perfect for your Uncle's, girlfriend's, doctor's, nephew's, dog's birthday party, and you're like "WHY ME, GOD!?"

3. Generally, I don't like to criticize people... out loud. But I can't get over how many ignorant and wildly "uneducated" people are on the internet. Usually I can get past the typos and the terrible grammar, because god knows I've made a few myself (see this entire post for, like, a bunch I'm sure) but other times I really want to hold some sort of online Webinar and make all the internet people attend. It would be structured as such:

There = "Hey look, the dog is over there!"
They're = Conjunction of they are
Their = possessive

When ending a sentence, stick to these three generally acceptable forms of punctuation. The period (.), the question mark (?) or the exclamation point (!). It should be noted that you usually don't end every sentence of a paragraph with three periods (...) Ex. "my cat decided it would be a gooooood idea to climb a tree... didnt like that... i told the cat no way and she said yes way... cats..."

Also, emoticons are not necessary for EVERY sentence and the overuse of LOL and JK should be avoided. Ex. "Wow. Just saw a lady buy fourteen bags of cat food : P LOL I asked her if she had a lot of cats lol and she said no : P I wanted to follow her home, jkjk obvi lol"

Of course, this is not to discourage you from using LOL and in fact, it's encouraged. It adds a certain amount of colour to the internet.

I promise you I'm not a total prude and I don't claim to be the best internet user ever because we all know about my potty mouth online and how much I love e-mail. Take this post with a grain of salt. Actually, take it with a tablespoon, or two, of buttercream. Salt by itself is disgusting. 

IMG_7158


Cupcakes, anyone?

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting and an M&M "Crust"
Yield | 12 cupcakes

Cupcakes adapted from Allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. whole milk 
1/3 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso (I used instant coffee)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350'F and line 12 cupcake molds or muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. 
3.  In a medium bowl, beat together the egg, and both sugars. Add the milk, coffee, and melted butter and mix until incorporated. 
4. Mix in the dry ingredients and divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake molds. I found that filling mine 3/4 of the way full does work best. 
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely, about 10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack. Make sure cupcakes are completely cool before frosting.

Frosting via How Sweet Eats
Ingredients:
1/2 cup of butter, softened
2/3 cup peanut butter
3-4 cups of powdered sugar, as per the recipe, but I found that about 3 cups works best
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp. milk
pinch of salt

Extra: 
One friggin' huge bag of your favourite M&M's, all crushed up 

Directions:
1. Cream together the butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer.
2. Add powdered sugar at low speed and then gradually add the milk and vanilla extract. Frosting should be smooth.
3. If the frosting is too dry, add more milk. If it's too runny, add more powdered sugar.
4. Frost cupcakes as desired and "crust" with the crushed M&M's!

Enjoy!

Happy baking!

-Jordan





Share/Bookmark

17 comments:

  1. Oh man, I want to lick the frosting off of all the cupcakes. Of course, that would be hideously inappropriate.

    I definitely take a good internet connection for granted. When it isn't working, I want to call Roger's and freak out on someone. But, now that I've written that, it reminds me of the behaviour of someone that is seriously addicted to something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hideously inappropriate, but SO right! I do the Rogers thing ALL THE TIME. I feel like the customer service rep will be able to fix it all.

      Delete
  2. Cupcakes! So tasty. I feel that peanut butter & chocolate are the best combo eva!

    I hear you on the occasional internet woes and such. And spelling just grates on my NERVES. I mean I make typos too and wring my hands in anger at the mistake and try my best to rectify it as quickly as I can. But some people are just bad at the spelling and overuse the LOLs. I don't understand. No me gusta! Do people not double check what they type before pressing send/enter? What is up with that. And don't get me started on wifi connections.

    Anywho, great recipe and I share your pain. Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are the best combo ever. Totally classic and never out of style! I think some people just aren't as OCD as me when it comes to pressing enter before reading something. And then when they see it, they just don't care.

      Delete
  3. So you mean I'm not the only one with those internet problems? Good to know!!!


    These cupcakes!! I wish I had one or two of these right now. They're delicious looking and I think chocolate and peanut butter are excellent companions. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely glad people aren't jumping down my throat about these observations! Nice to know that other people feel the same! : )

      PERFECT companions is more like it!

      Delete
  4. Hurrah for correct spelling (and for chocolate cupcakes)!

    If I have to read one more blog post about someone "pouring over a new recipe", I will scream! Pray tell, what are you pouring over that new recipe???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cupcakes, hurrah!

      Not sure what you mean by pouring over? I'd like to think I could pour chocolate over them ; )

      Delete
  5. Very nice cupcakes! They look delicious.
    I also understand your internet issues. Spelling/grammar doesn't get the attention it deserves, and as for the problem with the LOLs and smiley faces and all that - they're madly overused but it can be hard to show personality without them. Oh well! Where would us food bloggers be without the internet, love it or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the bit about showing personality. It can be hard. But I also don't think that every sentence needs an LOL because not every sentence is actually making you "laugh out loud"!

      We wouldn't be anywhere, honestly. Probably just writing stuff down on paper and snail-mailing it to a bunch of peolpe!

      Delete
  6. HOLY CRAP! I LOLd at this post (sorry I couldn't help myself). And holy smokes do I agree with PUNCTUATION and learning the difference between "there", "their" and "they're"!!!!!!!!! I even use proper grammar and punctuation in text messages.

    Internet as a bitch aside. This recipe sounds amazing. I might try it as a cake for one of the birthdays my family has coming up. I've cupcaked myself silly after my sister's bridal shower (NO. MORE. CUPCAKES.). Yum Yum. Thanks.

    BTW I tagged you in a post over at Epicurean Enthusiast. Hope you get a chance to zip over and check it out. http://epicureanenthusiast.blogspot.com/2012/02/fellow-foodie-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you agree!

      And now way, you can never say no to cupcakes! NEVER.

      Thanks for the tag. I will be checking it out soon!

      Delete
  7. oh wow, yum!!! i had a cupcake like this from a cupcake shop, but yours look way better. and so moist!
    the internet makes me mad, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! These cupcakes were exceptionally moist and some people actually thought they came from a box mix. Actually took a few minutes to make them believe that they were, in fact, homemade!

      Delete
  8. I friggin love your voice in this post :D

    Also, I'll have you know that while I was reading it, the internet magically decided to close the tab. Then, after I came back and finished the post, the page reloaded halfway through me typing my comment.

    Damn the internet! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet is evil! But don't be too loud about it, or it might revolt!

      Delete
  9. I enjoy reading your post...These treats look delish!

    ReplyDelete

I love you all for reading! Your support means everything!

If you have any questions regarding recipes, posts, or use of photographs, whip up some buttercream, then send me an e-mail: kitchenkarate(AT)gmail(DOT)com. You shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply. I'm a computer fiend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...