I recently finished reading The Hunger Games. Not the series... yet. Just the first book. I liked it. I loved it, actually. I haven't been this interested in a series since Harry Potter. I love the characters, the plot, the settings. It's all amazing.
I've been thinking about a few things. Sure, Katniss is brave and strong and pretty much a Warrior Princess, but are there things that she and her friends could have done differently? Well, I explore that very question!
Top 5 Things I Would Have Done Differently If I Was Katniss Everdeen
1. First of all, I would never have gone to the name drawing ceremony thing. I know it's probably illegal not to, but I mean, would anyone really have missed you? If you were at home eating a mint leaf and milking your goat, would anyone really notice you weren't there? And even if your name was called, you could just lie and say you were super sick from all the mint leafs you were eating and that you also just had a glass of sour goat milk.
2. She was way too calm during her training/ days leading up to The Games. I would be clawing at the walls trying to get out. I mean, like, crawling through the plumbing, hiding in laundry baskets to try and get out.
3. I'd be throwing knives at people trying to get out of that building. I mean, we all know that she can throw a knife, as made evident on the train, but come on. Did it not occur to her to maybe throw knife at a guard? And even if she hadn't escaped, nothing wrong with stashing a butter knife in your underwear when you get talking onto the playing field, right?
4. Maybe paid a bit more attention to the subtle hints that Peeta was throwing at me and, I don't know, maybe made a plan from the beginning. "Hey, Peeta. What do you say we team up and at the end, if we're both still left, we threaten to kill each other if they don't let us both win? Plan?" Not hard.
5. Finally, I'd probably have died a lot sooner. Not on purpose, but God knows I'm not that resourceful. I'd be the dumb one who would think that the best plan would to have been to stay at the Cornucopia from the beginning and try to kill as many people as possible, thus getting killed myself. I picture either a knife in my back or tripping over a root and hitting my head on a rock.
Cadbury Mini Eggs + Chocolate Chip Blondies
Yield | About 16 bars
Adapted from JoyofBaking.com
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 large egg
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup Cadbury Mini Eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 350'F and grease an 8x8 inch square baking pan.
2. Melt the butter and let cool to room temperature.
3. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
4. With an electric mixer, beat the egg and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat in the vanilla extract and the melted butter.
5. At low speed, mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
6. With a wooden spoon or spatula, mix in the chocolate chips and Mini Eggs.
7. Spread the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the top of the Blondies are dry and golden brown.
8. Let cool before cutting.
Click ahead for the GIVEAWAY!
Wanna win some of the fun paper straws used in this post? Well, now you can! I'm giving away three packs of straws from my online shop, I'm With Cupcake!
1. Contest is open to residents worldwide.
2. Winner is responsible for contacting me at imwithcupcake AT gmail DOT com to claim their prize after the winner is announced.
3. Giveaway runs from March 21, 2012 until March 28, 2012 and the winner will be announced March 29, 2012.
4. To enter, you MUST FOLLOW KITCHEN KARATE via Google Friend Connect on the sidebar. This will be checked!
5. All entries will be verified before the winner is chosen and those that have not been actually completed will not be counted.
6. Completing any or all of these entries does not guarantee you will win. Purchases made from our store in conjunction with entering this giveaway will not be refunded if the customer did not win the giveaway.
a Rafflecopter giveaway